• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D-30 steering knuckle u-joint

artsifrtsi

NAXJA Forum User
What is the procedure to replacing these? Are they replaceable, or does the whole shaft need to be swapped?
Looking at the blow-out drawing, the u-joint is replaceable, but under the Jeep last night, it looked like the joint isn't replaceable. Is it just a pressed in piece that you have to remove the caps to install into the yoke? the drawings are a bit vague...

Last edited:
artsifrtsi said:
What is the procedure to replacing these? Are they replaceable, or does the whole shaft need to be swapped?
Looking at the blow-out drawing, the u-joint is replaceable, but under the Jeep last night, it looked like the joint isn't replaceable. Is it just a pressed in piece that you have to remove the caps to install into the yoke? the drawings are a bit vague...

Here's the short version of how to replace them:

1. Remove wheel
2. Remova caliper
3. Remove rotor
4. Remove cotter pin and nut on axle shaft
5. Remove wheel bearing assembly (3 13mm 12 point bolts on the inside of the knuckle)
6. Remove axle shaft
7. Remove c clips from U joints (on the inner part of the yoke, if that makes sense)
8. Press out old joint.
9. Reverse the steps

Hope that helps

Very much, I was starting to seriously second guess myself as to whether they were some of the ones that weren't replaceable. Guess I'll stop off at the parts chimps tonight and get the joints to slap in.
Thanks

artsifrtsi said:
Very much, I was starting to seriously second guess myself as to whether they were some of the ones that weren't replaceable. Guess I'll stop off at the parts chimps tonight and get the joints to slap in.
Thanks

Get some Spicer U joints.....worth the extra money to have a good joint in there.

I am doing my u-joint right now. It took about a hour to take them off. A impact wrench works great on the 36mm nut on the outer part of the shaft. I hate u-joints, so I took them into the machine shop to have them press them out. Adds extra time and cost, but I hate doing u-joints. The spicer joint cost $22each at NAPA and the shop is charging me $25 to replace. I am also turning my rotors and replacing my brake pads at the same time. On mine, the old u-joint were made by Percission (sp) and had a grease fitting and look like they were not lubed. The spicer also have a fitting. I did notice when I removed the shaft, that the drivers side was binding much more than the passenger side.

Enjoy,
Bob:rolleyes:

Back