• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

87xj Air conditioner cuts out

Ron Hyslop

NAXJA Forum User
A/C cools very well, but under certain conditions when it is very hot under the hood, the A/C clutch will not engage. I have 14volts on the battery side of the relay and 12volt on the feed to the A/C clutch side of the relay and close to zero resistance in the wire to the clutch. I put in a new relay for good measure but still suffer the same prolem. When it is acting up, the voltage seems to drop below 12. Wondering if maybe the A/C magnetic clutch is going bad, or maybe that diode in the ground wire has something to do with it. I did clean the contacts in the relay holder and the connector in the wire to the clutch.

What I REALLY think is pull all that AC crap off and turn it in for scrap. Well, your not getting much for aluminum right now so hold it tell winter.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

There is a write up on one of the Cherokee forums about switching a wire out on the relay to give it more voltage in cases just like yours. I will see if I have it bookmarked on my other computer, I can't get to that one till tonight. IIRC, I saw the thread on JU. Good Luck.

This is just general information, but my air conditioner got to where it would start blowing warm air. So I started checking the obvious, and was givin some advice about the clutch magnets. I was told to clean them with brake clean, it seemed to change alittle,so I took the front plate off and cleaned both surfaces with some scotch brite, now it's blowing ice cold again.

Now, I know this sounds to good to be true, that's why I'm hanging on to the new clutch I bought for a few days to see how it does. This may not be the solution for your problem, but it might help someone in a pinch. One thing about it you can't help but learn new things driving a jeep. Good Luck! Gigage 90 red Pioneer in Texas

Well I said to good to be true, guess that's why they say it. Cleaning that did change it but not for long. So tomarrow morning when it's cool that's what I'll be doing, changing the clutch and bearing. Better now than when I'm stuck out in the Gobi desert. Good Luck again Gigage

Most AC systems have a Hi-Pressure Cut-Off switch. If the refrigerant press (and in closed AC systems pressure=temp/heat) gets to high it will shut off the compressor.

If you've serviced the system yourself, and over-serviced it, that could cause it to hit the hi-press switch in warm temps. (AC will work great up to that point).

If you've never serviced it, then being low on refrigerant would NOT cause a great working AC system that cuts out when it gets hot. It could cause an AC system to cut out, but it would perform poorly as it cut on and off.

Fans not working and cooling the condenser enough can cause a good working AC system to cut off, especially at lower speeds where there is less airflow thru the condenser. I had this on a mini-van, it caused the motor to stall at idle as well. There is often a mid-press switch designed to turn on the fan, that can go bad and not turn on the fans and result in what I just described, this was my problem. Fans not working right can raise the underhood temp as well. Don't forget the fan clutch can be bad on the engine driven fan as well.

Finally, you could have a bad clutch coil, they can short from damage, often from heat, and heat effects the resistance properties of electrical devices. Check the resitance of the coil with a good ohm meter, sorry I don't know the specs, but its often a very low resistance for something like an electromagnet, if its lower than spec, it could be bad. Maybe good enough to just work in cooler temps, but when it gets hot, the heat might be enough to push the coil over the edge and not create enough force to engage the clutch.

Air Gap in the AC clutch? Its worn and a greater than spec gap can allow the clutch to slip at higher pressure and temps? You would be getting a lot of squeeling as the clutch engaged though, if that was your problem. They can usually be adjusted by removing shims on the clutch plate and bringing it closer to the other plate, at the spec gap.

Last edited:
The A/C has only been serviced by a small town Jeep deeler that I trust, the last time probably 4 or more years ago. A couple of weaks ago it was putting out 45 degree F when the outside air was about 85 F. The electric fan was replaced about 10 years ago, I think I'll have a look at that, as well as the mech fan viscous clutch. I'm curious about the diode that goes to ground spliced into the power supply for the A/C clutch. I suspect that it's job is to keep the A/C clutch from getting to high a voltage. If that diode has gone bad, it might allow more volts to bleed to ground than it should when it gets good and hot under there. I have a write up that I clipped out of a magazine that swaps two wires around in the A/C relay holder that changes the power supply source, but I allready have 14 volts on the input side of the relay, so I doubt that's the problem. Thanks for the Info.

..this problem sounds like the one im currently having and I think its the thermal switch but I havent gotten back to diagnosing it yet....but Ill gladly post my findings when I do

XJING said:
There is a write up on one of the Cherokee forums about switching a wire out on the relay to give it more voltage in cases just like yours. I will see if I have it bookmarked on my other computer, I can't get to that one till tonight. IIRC, I saw the thread on JU. Good Luck.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/mambo2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=26

I think this is the link you were thinking of XJING. I did this on my '88 and it did help with the A/C clutch from switching on and off. Good Luck

Woody

Back