• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 Aussie + 4.88 install

XJMarty

NAXJA Forum User
hello I am considering a 8.8 swap for my XJ, (4cyl, diesel) is an open carrier, so I want to add an aussie locker + 4.88 gears, I read that I need to use a notched pin in order to install axleshafts, just to clarify the situation.

I will asseble the locker to the carrier on the bench, with no gear ring installed, then sutup the gears and install axleshafts? Or do i have to grind the ring gear anyway to be able to dissasemble the locker with carrier installed in the axle? It is quite confusing to me.

thanks for any input.

Or shoul i buy a full detroit to get rid of these "issues"?

If you’re going to re-gear to 4.88 then you’re probably going to have to buy a new carrier. When I did mine I found that a full Detroit wasn’t that much more then a Aussie + Carrier so I just bought the Detroit.

FiFo said:
If you’re going to re-gear to 4.88 then you’re probably going to have to buy a new carrier. When I did mine I found that a full Detroit wasn’t that much more then a Aussie + Carrier so I just bought the Detroit.

the ford 8.8 has one carrier for all gear ratio's just like the differential it was designed to replace, the Ford 9...

XJMarty
The answer to your question is - no matter what you do, youre going to have to notch the center pin a bit, because of the way the 8.8 axle shafts are retained with a c-clip in the differential. So regardless of your choice of locker, you will not be able to assemble the differential, then slide the shafts in, and you will have to put the diff together in the vehicle, with the axle shafts in...
HTH

Back