• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GOOD MOTOR? OR BAD?

XJ2NV

NAXJA Forum User
i was looking at a jeep cherokee (xj) 86.. and it had a V-6 not a strait 6 and it was carborated with about 190k on it....my buddy doesnt know about jeeps and he said that the motor is junk and they have lots of problems like (blowing head gaskets,and shit like that) just woundering if any one knew about these motors and how good or bad they are... thanks anthony XJ2NV PLEASE WRITE ME BACK IF YOU KNOW I NEED THE HELP THANKS AGAIN

:NAXJA:

I have no personal experience with anything but the 4.0, but what you have is most likely the GM 2.8 liter V-6. Pretty gutless with 115 horsepower stock.

ya that is what it is i was just woundering how good they were for wheeling and shit like that...i also heard that they have lots of probles too thanks for the reply

cstilesiscool said:
Yeah after a little searching on here, it appears to be a pretty crappy engine.

Searching...how novel. :D

On the other hand, if it's dirt cheap and in great shape, you could take the road less travelled and think about this...

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/Project_XJ/Project_XJ.htm

It's a pretty good site that has lots of neat (and cheap!) info on XJ's; but more importantly, it has info on swapping in a 3.4 litre V6 into a 2.8-equipped XJ. A good option for what most folks view as a dead end Jeep.

Personally, I'd just look elsewhere for a good 2.5 4-banger or 4.0 six-pack, but I'm kinda lazy and have no money.

:)

I had an MJ with the v6. It was lacking in power, somewhat, but it did good by me. I got nearly 300K out of it. Just like with the 4.0, you can improve upon it with bolt on parts--upgrade the intake, exhaust, wiring...You won't get the horsepower that the 4.0 gives, but I found the mileage was a bit better. I used mine as a work truck and it pulled some heavy loads without balking. If the price is good, have at it and have fun.

that motor makes an excellent boat anchor

well....it is 550 for the xj and the body is clean and so is interior....but leaks lil oil and needs a trans (auto) but it is clean and on non opp. like i said wit 190k on it

I wouldn't bother with it... I don't think its worth the $550 if it needs a lot of work and a new transmission. You could probably find a newer model for a little more. That motor turned out to be a complete dud for GM, I had one in another vehicle. Its gutless (a newer 4 cylinder XJ with MPFI has a higher HP rating) and they leak oil like a sieve. IIRC there is a design defect with the 2.8 where the back of the intake manifold did not seal well against the block and oil leaks.

Just my 2 cents, I had an 89 firebird w/ 2.8 w/ fuel injection. It ran hard, in fact my buddy bought a 91 firebird w/ a v-8 and was so pissed that I could hang w/ him in acceration. I never had any probs w/ the 2.8.

well doing a motor swap is something i will probably do down the road but not now i just want something to have fun in and not get stuck all the damn time thats all for now then maby a motor swap later on down the road i think ima hold off on that xj...and try to find a strait 6 because that is what i want....

It's hard to pass up those 'deal of the year' Jeeps, trust me, I know. But you're smart to hold out for a Jeep that's already got all (or most) of the components you're going to want in one package.

It's hard though, letting it slip by...

Ive never had good like with the 2.8V6, and ive heard that once they start to go its all down hill you best bet if you "just had to have the jeep" is drop a 4.0.
-Keep Jeepin

yeah but how much will it cost to do it and were can i find a 4.0....will it pass smog??? i will do it but i want it to pass smog and not be too expencive you know

I had an '86 2.8l v6. It is not a great wheeling motor and was never meant to be. It makes a fairly decent daily driver, out performing the 2.5l I4 on the road. If you are so inclined swap in the 3.4l but even then you will never match the off road performance of the 4.0l I6. Count your pennies and figure out if you would spend more swapping in another engine or buying one with the 4.0l. My guess is that you can find a 4.0 cheaper than what the engine swap will cost you (unless of course you have one sitting around). And remember it has to come from a rear wheel drive vehicle. One other thing. The early model XJs had horrible problems with the hydraulic clutches. On the other hand, you will never feel remorse about modifying the holy crap out of it and cutting it up nicely.

Unfortunately, dropping a 4.0 into the 1984-1986 models is harder than most folks think. AMC changed the firewall and parts of the front clip/rad area to accommodate the much longer 4.0 litre.

Plus, there's wiring, sensors, etc...

On the other hand, there are TONS of 4.0 XJ's out there. You can get them cheap and if you live in an area where there's salt & snow, you can get one with a great drivetrain that's rotted out for pennies on the dollar. I'd suggest the 1991-1995 engine and related bits; if you're gonna do it once, do it with an engine that has better support. (Aftermarket that is.)

I've owned my '86 (2.8L, auto) for nine years. Mine actually runs pretty well for what it is. It's never thrown a rod or blown a head gasket but it isn't a very powerful motor and the carb can sometimes act up off road when you would least like for it to happen. For no more than they cost anymore, you would probably be happier with a newer one with a 4.0L.

Mike

Back