• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

EGR and definitive answer on exhaust manifold/headers

Weasel

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Looking to replace my exhaust manifold with a header and as I understand it the replacement headers are only for 91's and up. They would fit and older 4.0 but the egr tube is missing, correct? Can I just bypass the egr altogether? And the 91+ will bolt onto the 89 block correct? I havn't found any difinitive answers other then, I think it will.

Thats fine if the computer isn't trying to get a signal back to see if the engine is running correctly. I've read that a bad EGR can cause rough idle's or vaccum leak. So if I run no EGR will it cause the computer to try read something thats non functional and effect the engine.

A failed EGR can cause engine management problems, but the RENIX doesn't get a signal from the EGR valve, and runs fine without it (and cleaner - I just wish I could plate the thing off and have done with it, but the Air Police won't let me...)

I think there is also a header or two that will work for RENIX - I seem to recall seeing them out there. I just don't recall who made them..

If you're not subject to the Air Police, you could easily get away with swapping out the entire top end with 1991-up (preferably 1991 to 1998/1999 or so...) and use a later header, later intake, later throttle body, and suchlike. If you go with a 1995 and earlier head, you'll have the port for the temperature sensor for the panel gage - I think it can be added to later heads, but I haven't gotten heads to check yet (I'm still trying to collect them - any donors?)

Since HEGO sensors are common, at least you won't have to get a HEGO bung welded to your header...

Great, thats what I was wanting to know if the snesor was sending anything back. It will be getting blocked off.

I havn't found an headers that are listed for a 89 Auto XJ. Most everything is 91+. I'm also looking for Mopar headers so thats making things a bit difficult and slow. Not too interested in changing the intake and throttle body. It seems the newer stuff moves the power band up a bit and I'm not sure it's really worth it at this point.

When I droppped in the stroker I used a Borla header. It had the bung for the EGR in it. I have an 87 with an Auto. If you need to keep the EGR, this may be an option.

-Jon

Cool, no we don't have any inspections in SD or MT, so I don't have to keep the EGR. Last time I checked Borla's site they only listed headers for 91 and up so they must fit fine. Thanks, now off to shopping for headers.

Call Borla. They most certainly offer a renix header, I have one sitting in my garage.

5-90 said:
A failed EGR can cause engine management problems, but the RENIX doesn't get a signal from the EGR valve, and runs fine without it (and cleaner - I just wish I could plate the thing off and have done with it, but the Air Police won't let me...)

I think there is also a header or two that will work for RENIX - I seem to recall seeing them out there. I just don't recall who made them..

If you're not subject to the Air Police, you could easily get away with swapping out the entire top end with 1991-up (preferably 1991 to 1998/1999 or so...) and use a later header, later intake, later throttle body, and suchlike. If you go with a 1995 and earlier head, you'll have the port for the temperature sensor for the panel gage - I think it can be added to later heads, but I haven't gotten heads to check yet (I'm still trying to collect them - any donors?)

Since HEGO sensors are common, at least you won't have to get a HEGO bung welded to your header...

There's ways to make it look like its work..........and not!;)

Weasel said:
Cool, no we don't have any inspections in SD or MT, so I don't have to keep the EGR. Last time I checked Borla's site they only listed headers for 91 and up so they must fit fine. Thanks, now off to shopping for headers.

I was talking to DR. Dyno about this yesterday and he said that Borla, Clifford, and Pacesetter do Renix headers, but only Borla's also comes with a downpipe.

just to give ya a fue more options!

Flash.

Flash said:
There's ways to make it look like its work..........and not!;)

You can make it look like it's there - but the usual test is to pull off the vacuum line, connect a hand pump, and open the valve - the engine should stall. How do you plan to simulate that?

I did see Borla lists a 87-90 header but it's only for the manual tranny, not sure the difference. If either years will fit minus the EGR then I'm happy. I'm more worried about future problems and fittment issues then wehter or not it has an EGR.

I used to think Borla were it but I've heard and seen them crack so I'm sorta going for a no one them. Going to do a buynch of searching over the next few days and read up (again) on the different options.

Also going to take the time to make sure the entire system including the header has enough support.

Well I've read through most of the header threads. I think I'm going with either the Thorley or Edelbrock header. Banks and Borlas have too many problems for me to want to try to deal. Either way the header will be ceramic coated, Edelbrock has ceramic and a tri-tech coating, no idea which is better.

Don't care if it has a downpipe or not I can make my own, probably going with 2.25" pipe, maybe 2.5" but don't see much of a point really. Going to try a Dynotech race bullet muffler.

5-90 said:
You can make it look like it's there - but the usual test is to pull off the vacuum line, connect a hand pump, and open the valve - the engine should stall. How do you plan to simulate that?

:dunno: a remote stop, instead of a remote start! :) just kidding around so don't take it to seriously.

Hook a wire to the EGR pintical the would brake the ign when he pushes on the diafram.....or better yet tie it to the coil wire so when he grabs the EGR:shocked:
How a bought putting on the newer head, and header and tell them that it has the newer eng in it that didn't us an EGR system.:thumbup:

I still like the coil idea best( Hmm,:read: :attom: ya it dose that to me to! The ex. gases must create static charge that build up in it....:shhh: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Flash

A friend of mine installed a borla header on his '97 TJ and when we both moved to CA after graduation for work I found out my '90 cherokee wouldn't pass the air police without the stock airbox and hot air intake off the exhaust manifold. The interesting thing was my exhaust manifold didn't have anywhere to connect the air pipe to, a fluke or previous owner swapped in an different year stock exhaust manifold without hot air intake. My buddy remembered his borla header came with a part you hose clamp on to the header to connect the hot air airbox intake to for older systems like mine and I used the borla part hose clamped to my stock manifold to pass the air police inspection here in CA. I'd say check with borla as I know they make something that will work.

I have a Mopar/Mike Leech header on my 90 with an EGR. When it was first shipped to me, it was lacking the EGR outlet. I shipped it back and the outlet was added. It's identical for HO's and non-HO's, except for the EGR outlet.

Fred

Back