• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Selling the TJ for an XJ...

TJ_Shunk

NAXJA Forum User
So XJ people, what should I look for? Looking at a 2000 model with an auto tranny and not looking at going larger then 31's. It is time to get a family friendly rig.

-Matt

i got 95 sport with 130k for about 3,000 needs lift and a lot of other goodies but i love it wish i had pw pl etc but i would recommend a 91 or newer you just cannot beat that highoutput 4.0 I've been looking for my brother and mom seems every one is wanting top dollar since its winter time so the plan is to sit back and wait a deal will come around

if it going to be a family rig look at the limited package w/ leather and woodgrain i really like that a lot... a little more pricey though... i have a 1999 sport and it came with power locks windows key less entry and cloth interior... 4 door... auto is going to be your main choice for tranny unless you can find a manual which is kinda rare for a 99... good luck and post up what yah find!

If you're not planning on going very high with your lift, you probably aren't going to do a SYE then a 242 t-case might be a good choice for driving on the roads with partial snow/ice coverage. Mine pretty much stayed in full time most of the winter when I lived in the snow belt.

TJ_Shunk said:
Thanks guys. I have come to the conclusion that I need to find a 99 so I get the HPD30 and I need to find one with an 8.25.
That's how I started looking. When I couldn't find one with low miles (this is going to be a long term relationship...) I opened it up to 99 or newer to make sure I got the newer intake manifold. You do want the 8.25. I've got a HP30 out of a '96 sitting in my garage waiting for regear time...Otherwise I got what I wanted. If you don't need the Limited or Classic, you'll have more to pick from. My wife is 5 ft tall, and we needed the power seats so she could see out! Otherwise, look for a good deal. They are out there if you have time to wait. My limited is now a 2 seater with two kiddie seats in the back! My 3 year old loves riding in "Daddy's Jeep":cheers:

oh yeah does the classic come with leather and the power options as well? i wasnt sure... anyways i am on the prowl for a dd limited and with 50-80 k miles around 7 -8 k is the going price with all the options if this helps any... i found a few at carmax, limited or classics cant remember but 1999 none the less and the price was slighty better... ebay has some good deals on auctions if you are comfortable with that but i always like to see the vehicle in person i guess but with low mileage and low price it is hard to pass up i guess... anyways post some pics of what you find good luck!

Look for the lowest mileage, best deal you can get. XJ's are getting Pretty cheap, 6500 to 9000 for a newer low mileage around here in Denver. I tell you what, with all the snow we've had here lately I really wish I had ABS on mine. And the NP 242. My durange does much better in the hard packed snow and ice for daily driving. Although when we had the blizard I did manage to make it to the liquere store with 2+ ft. of snow with the Cherokee!:greensmok If your going to lift and wheel it. look for the 99' and down. 8 1/4 rear end and high pinion 30 front.

Our old 94 XJ had the 242 and it was difinatly nice to have in the typical winter driving conditions. We also did a Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft combo on it since it had 4" lift on it. I am not worried about SYE issues with eithere the 231 or the 242 as I have done both, the 231 is cheaper though. The big thing with trim package that I am trying to avoid is the leather power drivers seat. It sits me too high up, being 6' 1" tall. As long as I get an auto, and PW/PL then I am happy. We also had the 8.25, leather power seats, power everything else and all the goodies in the 94' XJ as it was the "Country Edition". My wife is going around saying "I told you so" as we talked about selling the TJ or the XJ a year ago, as we desided on the XJ. Opps. I'll let you know what I find. Have to sell the TJ first or find some one with a paid off Xj that would be willing to take over the loan on my TJ. We'll see what I find.

T&T Customs; For All Your Jeep/Fabrication Needs
JP Magazine article on my Rig
Cheyenne Trail Crew

Back