• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

02 sensor/wires

xj paddler

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 2000 XJ.

The Wires on the sensor got ripped in half by the drive shaft yoke. there is a black, gray, and 2 white wires.

What are the white wires, and will it hurt if they are backwards. I have reatatched them but i am not sure they are correct.

thanks for any input.

Heath

You would think they would have fixed that problem since 1987, LOL. Wish I could help you, but mine was a three wire on a 1987 XJ when it got the SHAFT! LOL. To make matters worse mine got fried, melted on the exhaust pipe after getting wrapped on the shaft and then blew a fusable link.

The white wires are for the heating element and they do not need to be hooked up in any order to function. Just match the colors and you'll be fine.

The black wire is the signal and the grey is ground I think.

I'd appreciate if someone could back me up on this but I'm not 100% confident.

I got the same problem on my 87...looks like a black, a gray and a bare ground wire got chopped off mine. I'm hoping I can find a harness at the junkyard, the connector that plugs into the sensor is lost on mine.

Just curious, you having hard/no starts with that sensor unplugged? That's what I'm getting when warmed up. Starts first time, every time when cold.

UncleBud said:
I got the same problem on my 87...looks like a black, a gray and a bare ground wire got chopped off mine. I'm hoping I can find a harness at the junkyard, the connector that plugs into the sensor is lost on mine.

The bare ground wire sounds more like the antiknock sensor connnector!!!

xj paddler said:
I have a 2000 XJ.

The Wires on the sensor got ripped in half by the drive shaft yoke. there is a black, gray, and 2 white wires.

What are the white wires, and will it hurt if they are backwards. I have reatatched them but i am not sure they are correct.

thanks for any input.

Heath

Am I just dreaming are shouldn't the colors on the other end, the sensor end, match up, black to black, gray to grey....?????

The Haynes manual is zero help on this one! It shows a BLK/TAN as ground and DK GRN/BLK as the heater voltage input for the harness connector for 1991 and later years up to 2000 on 4 and 6 cyl models.

I understand black to black grey to grey, but mine has 4 wires and the other two are both white. I am not sure where they go or if it is possible that I may have them backwards.

I have had hard starts from time to time. its funny though because when I do have a hard start the check engine light will go off and remain off until I start it agin:confused1

later heath

Could the rear sensor not working cause the front sensor to go out??? When i run a scan on it, it still refers to the front sensor being bad.

Heath

the white dont matter which way they are hooked, they are for the sensor heating element. your front sensor is dependent on the rear for proper operating. your best bet is to replace both sensors. that way you know they are both new and can decrease your chance of problems

Back