• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

A/C Fan and Radio

Radon

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a fuse that controls the radio and A/C Fan, because they are working intermittently in my XJ.

If its not a fuse what would cause this. When the radio works the fan works, and when one doesnt work the other doesnt work either.

Radon said:
Is there a fuse that controls the radio and A/C Fan, because they are working intermittently in my XJ.
If its not a fuse what would cause this. When the radio works the fan works, and when one doesnt work the other doesnt work either.

It seems like they share the same power feed on my '88. If I happen to leave my heat control/blower on when I turn off the ignition key, my aftermarket radio momentarily goes into CD eject mode, with no CD in it.. Weird. The radio is hooked into the stock radio plug.
Along with that, I noticed a couple of times in the past few months when I started the Jeep, I started to drive away, turned on the radio, no worky, and no heater blower. Pulled over, turned off key, restarted and everything worked. Sooo, I think we both may have something going in the ignition switch???

Sometimes the old switch just does not spring back all the way after the start position. You have to help it return a little farther back to ignition ON. Try that if you haven't already.
It might work. Otherwise a new ignition switch is suggested since all grounds are OK.

langer1 said:
Sure, replace the ignition switch under the dash, their about $15.00

I'm doing that as soon as we thaw out around here....
I have been noticing lately that my key does not have the same feel it used to have after the engine starts. I do have to nudge the key back to the run position a little. It's not so bad that the starter stays engaged, but it's only a matter of time, and with the wife and teenage son also driving, I'm afraid they won't catch on to what's happening if it does get stuck in "start".

Well, it finally got me. I had already purchased a new switch after my last post, thinking I would replace it at my leisure. My son went out to start the Jeep two nights ago, he came back in and said the key won't turn. So, last night, after the usual cursing and knuckle scraping, I got the old switch out and just put the new one in today. I had to tear the old switch apart to see what went wrong. Sure enough, one of the contacts was burnt. The spring for that contact must have just gotten weak, as it is bit shorter than the others. The other contacts all look good. The one that is burnt just so happens to be the contact for the radio, heater blower and other accesories.
Now the fun part; because of the heat generated by the faulty contact, it had melted itself into the body of the switch, which was the reason we couldn't turn the key. I was lucky it happened after I had turned off the ignition when I got home that night. If it had melted while I or my son was driving, we probably wouldn't have been able to shut it down. I have seen other posts where the key was stuck in the run position and wires had to be yanked off to stop the engine. If you have any sticking in your key, or flakey electrical problems, check this out before you get stuck somewhere.

Back