• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock radio stopped working

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
My radio was working intermittedly then completely stopped working the other day. I thought the fuse was blown or bad so I replaced it and no dice. This isn't a huge problem as I plan on replacing it with a new head unit soon, but I kinda like listening to something while I drive.
I still get power the radio/cassette player(the backlights still work), but for some reason it won't turn on.
Any reason why this might have happened or should I just chalk it up to being a 17 year old stock part?
thanks

Don't happen to have any leaks do you? Mine quit working and when I pulled it out there was rust on it. Thought that was weird but replaced it anyway, first rain we got and the new one shorted out. Seems water was/is running along the harness and dripping on the radio.
I still have power to it, lights are on, just doesn't work.

CRAP! just went to find this thread in the OEM section and realised I posted it in the wrong forum--sorry about that!
yeah, I had a water leak, figured that mighta been the problem. Guess I'll just write it off since removing it to clean the wiring is too much hassle.

You may end up getting much better reception with a new head unit. My '88 just had the stock AM/FM ETR radio in it when I got it (works perfectly). However, I make several trips through the Columia River Gorge, where I would loose all reception for lengthy periods of time. So, I figured I might as well get a new head unit with a CD player so I had something to listen to. I ended up getting an Alpine unit and now get reception all the way through the Gorge. The Cd player is a plus.

Just make sure that water leak is fixed before replacing your head unit.

Back