• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some quick advice.. mods can delete after

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys.

im towing a new chero home from 2 miles away. however i only have a dolly.

with the tcase in 2wd [its a 90, i beleive vacuum as well] and the tranny in N or D will it be fine for the 2 mile drive? id really like to not have to struggly with the REALLY rusty DS with no car lift and no power tools

because they are rusted BAD, and the thing is sitting in a big grass field..
o well, i guess ill have to pull the DS.

theres NOTHING else i can do? like say if i cant get the bolts off for some reason..

thanks, the DS was A LOT easier than i anticipated it to be. the rust broke free in one little jolt.

so now that the DS is out i put the TC in neutral, and the Tranny in Park?
thanks, [Geez, i can take apart/put together the motor, rebuild the suspension, but i cant figure out how to use a damned dolly lol]

The early NP231 connects the front and rear driveshaft together when the tcase is in neutral and cannot be dolly towed without dropping a driveshaft. At some point after Renix, according to some sources, there appears to have been a change to where there is a true neutral in the tcase.

The key was that the distance was only 2 miles. In that case, lube on the tranny would probably not be an issue and the tranny could have simply been put in neutral and leave the tcase in 2wd HI.

Giving the wrong info can end up breaking something or hurting somebody.

old_man said:
The early NP231 connects the front and rear driveshaft together when the tcase is in neutral and cannot be dolly towed without dropping a driveshaft. At some point after Renix, according to some sources, there appears to have been a change to where there is a true neutral in the tcase.

The key was that the distance was only 2 miles. In that case, lube on the tranny would probably not be an issue and the tranny could have simply been put in neutral and leave the tcase in 2wd HI.

Giving the wrong info can end up breaking something or hurting somebody.

dont believe em.........Ive dollied an 87, 89, 95, 96, 01 and all had the 231 and all had to have the DS dropped. Personal experience

the chain, the gears, etc are interchangeable from 87 to 01 save some of the input and output shafts when desiign changed but not function, the shift forks also changed in 89

Back