• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Much Backspace????

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
98 XJ. 2" of lift right now. wanna run 31/10.50 on 15" rim. upgrade to 32/10-12.50's later. what rim width and backspacing would you purchase for this application?? pics of each if you got 'em handy!!!

There is plenty of info here if you do a quick search. I ran 31 x 10.5 on my stock rims (5.5 bs) with no trouble. There was a little rubbing on the LCA at full lock but nothing that caused any trouble.

4.5 backspace works well for me, with 31-10.5 on budget boost. i used ford exploder wheels, same bolt pattern, 4.5 backspace. tires are about even with the outside edge of flare. no rubbing on control arm.

I ran 32x11.5 on stock 15x7 wheels for a year. they were close to they were close to the leaf springs and rubbed the lca's at full lock, but it was never a problem.

Later I changed them out to 15x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and it was WONDERFULL. Now I run 35x12.5's (well, 315/75/16) on 16x8 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and still have no problems.

I run Crager 15x8 wheels with 4.75" BS and 31/10.50R15 MTR's No issues at all.

%&#* , I'm confused now. If the stock rims are backspaced 5 1/2 " wouldn't that put them further from the LCA or rear leaf than less backspace?

And the stock 5 spoke steelies: 7" or 8"?

docchaynes said:
%&#* , I'm confused now. If the stock rims are backspaced 5 1/2 " wouldn't that put them further from the LCA or rear leaf than less backspace?

And the stock 5 spoke steelies: 7" or 8"?
No, the backspacing is the amount of wheel width that extend into the wheelwell. The more backspacing you have the less clearance you will have with the rear leaf spring perches and the LCAs in front when the wheel is turned to the side.

Most stock wheels are 7" IIRC.

Mikeforte,

You answered a post 9 months old.

Back