• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

frame rail width???

kewlkatdady

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to the steel house and going to pick up the stock for sleeving my frame rails.

My XJ is an hour away in the other direction (so I can't go measure it myself)

So....

Does anyone know the dimensions of the frame rails...not the bend just the height and width...

TIA!

Well, the stuff most people use is 4x6x1/4" tube cut in half.

3.5" inside width is about right, will probably have to grind the coating down a little bit.

3" height is good, anything more than that and it'll be very difficult to get a MIG gun in there to weld it on. I used 3x3 angle on mine and had lots of room for good beads on the side and bottom face.

You say that 3.5 is about right but people use 4x6...does the extra .5" cause it to be sloppy?

vetteboy said:
Well, the stuff most people use is 4x6x1/4" tube cut in half.

3.5" inside width is about right, will probably have to grind the coating down a little bit.

I used flat stock when I did mine. 3x1/8 for the bottom and 4x3/16 for the outside.

Ok noob here, are you (anyone) welding the steel to the frame rail or????

thanks

missouri

missouri said:
Ok noob here, are you (anyone) welding the steel to the frame rail or????

thanks

missouri

Yes. I made @1 inch holes along the plate I was using. stagering them in a zig-zag pattern along the plate. Then rosette weld the plate to the frame rail and then seam weld it as well. Alternated welding from end to end to give things a chance to cool/not over heat and warp the metal. And of course removing the undercoating before attaching the plate.

Ahhhh I can see clearly now. Thanks for the clarification. Now I know Now I do.

missouri

Back