• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How can I remove self-installed steering column security collar device?? with photos

pomerom

NAXJA Forum User
In a recent post on another topic I mentioned that my 90 XJ (and my 82 CJ8) have 'security collars' on their steering columns meant to discourage theft and was asked to describe them. Their entire purpose was to keep some jerk with a screwdriver from being able to 'pop' the ignition by breaking this plastic column covering. The jargon name for this type of theft some time ago was 'splak', because that's apparently the sound made when the plastic was destroyed by a simple screwdriver.

Seemed like a good idea at the time -- but I really need to get both of them off. And I haven't a clue as to how to do that.

These are made of hardened, purpose-built metal and encircle the steering column. They came in two halves that now encircle the steering column; the halves are connected to each other by screws without 'heads' that cannot be unscrewed.

As they were installed a green, flexible sealant was placed on the entire contact surface of the 'collars' and the steering column. I suspect that even if the screws were drilled out the collars would stay -- now sort of molded with the columns.

Since seeing them makes this all much more clear -- I put up a webpage with some example photos. There you can see just how they fit on, how they are connected, and in one of those on the CJ8 the 'green sealant' actually squeezed out just a little bit. (It feels hard -- like metal at this point.)

You can see photos from many angles at:
http://mikesgeeks.com/jeep01

Please take a look and let me know what you think! I put them on; now I don't have any idea how to get them off without total destruction of the columns. Can somebody please suggest what I can do to remove them with as little damage as possible.

Thanks .....

Mike

Re: How can I remove self-installed steering column security collar device?? with photos

If you have access to a Dremel tool and some reinforced cutoff disks, you might be able to attack it along one of the splits, cut down to the screws, then start working a screwdriver in to split it apart. Depends on just how "hardened" they really are I guess. Or see if it would be easier to just get another column at the u-pull-it.
It's a shame we have to go to such extremes to protect the things we own...

Re: How can I remove self-installed steering column security collar device?? with photos

How were the screws without heads screwed in the first place? That sounds screwie!

That sort of thing is not uncommon at all. The screws were installed with a special tool.

They are designed similar to those found on some restroom stalls -- that allow them to be tightened with a special tool but not to be loosened.

I don't think these are my main problem though. They can likely be drilled out. I do think that adhesive is -- unless I can find some way -- adhered to the plastic of the columns. So any attempt to get them off will destroy the column.

These are hardened (and if you look at the photos) and large and thick; and much too large to go at with my Dremel. I have 'air' and an air-driven 'cutter'. But my fear is that this won't help at all even if I could cut through them (and I have not yet tried because they were supposed to be very hardened and do appear to be). Even if I can put a cut all the way through one -- they are still 'glued' (for lack of a better term) to the column plastic with that <> 1/8 green sealant.

I'm hoping somebody can help me understand how to remove them without destroying either column -- both are one-owner (me) and mostly still all original parts.

Mike

Get a dremel ,and a cut off disk as was mentioned above and cut a "X" in the sheared off bolt head.
Cut it deep enough so that you can get a good bit with a big screw driver!
They will screw right out.

Just below the head of the bolt(Before it was installed in that bracket) is machined down to less the half the size of the bolt.
then when the bolts are tightened up........the head just shears off.

when cutting into the bolt......You will have to cut into the bracket, it self, far enough to allow a big screw driver and maybe a par of vice grips on the screw driver but once it start to turn out, you should be able to finish removing the bolts with you fingers.

Flash.

Last edited:

why bother, just get another colunm ,they cant be that much, and a lot less work than screwing around with that thing!

Try leaving it in a Walmart parking lot.:wave:

Oh right, those type. I've seen restroom screws that were either triangle shaped, or the type that have a edge for tightning with a screwdriver, but if you tried to loosen, the screwdriver would just slip.

after looking at your pic a little closer.........a "X" is out of the question.

so make shore the screwdriver slot that you make is as close to center on the bolts as ya can and get as big of a screw driver as will fit in the hole.

just keep cutting it a little deeper tell the screw drive, they you choose will fit smug.

time and patience will get ya there!

Flash

Blaine B. said:
How were the screws without heads screwed in the first place? That sounds screwie!

There are "one-way" screws (you'll see them on the dividers between toilets in office buildings) and screws that require special drivers, and there are "snap" screws - where you install the screw and then the head snaps off.

Considering the comments so far (haven't looked at the pics...) sounds like these were "snap" screws, which I've seen, and are a pain to deal with...

5-90,

Come to think about it -- and it was years and years ago -- it was screws with heads that broke off! I'll be darned if you haven't jogged long forgotten memories!!

I might very well be wrong, but I still think the biggest problem is not the screws but the actual metal ring sealed/glued/adheared to the plastic of the steering column. And I don't think prying with a screwdriver or any such prybar -- even if the screws are successfully removed -- is going to do anything but destroy the column.

Yes -- as others have suggested -- anything can for sure be replaced. But both of these vehicles are original and one-owner (me) and I'd really like to save the parts on them if I can. Just my view of the world and taking care of old classics I guess?!

Which is why I'm asking for help and advice here; why I haven't sort of just 'gone at it' -- with a cutter using air; I've finally in life learned to try and think things through first.

Which leads me to believe I still have two problems without a certain (or even any) solution -- the (broken off)screws and the glued/adhered metal to plastic all around that has set like that at least 10 years.

The day I did both of these vehicles it was a program by the local Sheriff's Office. I know they must have done in the 100's at least. So I don't think these collars/devices are in any way unique; I'll bet there are many thousands of vehicles out there that had this done.

So I'm still hoping with eternal optimism that there is a solution; that somebody has or can figure out how to undo these things. I hope I don't have to just 'go for it' and see what happens.

Thanks .....

Mike

Once you get the screws handled, try either heat (using a hairdryer on high should serve) or cold (dry ice or some of that "gum-freezing" spray you can get if you work in maintenance or janitorial - some electronic stores also carry a version for heat-related troubleshooting...) to handle the adhesive.

You can probably also source column shrouds, should you need to. The GM steering column (that's what you should have) are common as fleas, and it's just a matter of digging up what you need. Junkyards, speed shops, hot rod shops (the GM column saw a LOT of kitbuilder use!) and the like should be able to get shrouds for you, should you need them. There are also some steering column rebuilders out there who handle GM columns, you can probably get parts from them after you find them through Google.

Make sense?

not to make matters worse but why do you need to take em off?

not trying be a smart ass, but isn't the whole purpose of those things so that you CAN NOT get past them??? LOL so if there was a way to get past them, then wouldn't they be useless??? which means since you can't get them off then they are working. LOL

but ok. all i can think of is as mentioned. drill through, or cut slot heads and then use a screw driver. as for the adhesive, almost anything strong enough to weekend that type of adhesive will either melt or discolor the plastic. you would probably be better off just destroying them and finding a new plastic trim shield.

scorpio_vette said:
not trying be a smart ass, but isn't the whole purpose of those things so that you CAN NOT get past them??? LOL so if there was a way to get past them, then wouldn't they be useless??? which means since you can't get them off then they are working. LOL

but ok. all i can think of is as mentioned. drill through, or cut slot heads and then use a screw driver. as for the adhesive, almost anything strong enough to weekend that type of adhesive will either melt or discolor the plastic. you would probably be better off just destroying them and finding a new plastic trim shield.

No security is absolute - the idea here is to "remove opportunity." By making it difficult to break into the column shroud and manually hit the switch, most casual auto thieves will just move on to the next target - this prevents kids from going joyriding and such.

However, a determined thief will still find a way to take it away - I can think of a couple offhand (and so can any competent mechanic - and no, I'm not sharing...) that can be done even with the collar in place. No, I'm not thinking "try keys" or "jigglers," either...

A simpler solution, I've found, is just to add a couple of automatic "dead-man" switches that you don't have to think to hit, which are wired to keep the engine from starting - and then a manual "kill" switch you can trip to override the rest and make it just NOT start. That's still not absolute, but it's better...

Those are sheer-head screws. Drill a hole in them and use an easy-out. Their not that hard. If you can't get a drill in there, then use a Dremel with an 1/8" bit.

Cut a slot in the top and bottom, all the way thru.

Take a hammer and chisel.

Strike the edge of one of the cuts you made, smartly.

The green stuff is brittle and will snap, allowing you to simply remove the collar.

Rev

5-90 said:
No security is absolute - the idea here is to "remove opportunity." By making it difficult to break into the column shroud and manually hit the switch, most casual auto thieves will just move on to the next target - this prevents kids from going joyriding and such.
Perfectly stated -- and I've seen stats that show most vehicles are stolen this way.

No way to stop a determined pro -- heck, you can even put a small winch/lift on any pickup to quickly (albeit temporarily) turn it into a 'tow truck' and be gone.

Back