• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ rear bumper Removal?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Hey just a quick question....the bottom bolts on the XJ's rear bumper are easy access, but the top ones......well it looks like they are accessable from the top. Is there a way to remove the plastic cover between the body and bumper without having to cut a notch in it to fit a wrench in?

Oh, and by removing the plastic cover, I mean in a way so that it can be reused......aka, not damaged.

Thanks!

I was just curious if I ever had to. Or I was thinking of strengthening by welding metal to it on the inside.......just thinking is all, thank you!

BTW Yes, the bottom bolts were stuck as hell. I snapped the heads off and then had to use a dremel to cut that special snap-in nut in half..... That was unrelated to this though, I had to remove them for another reason... I used a pipe on the end of the socket wrench for those, heh.

Last edited:
well anyway you can get to the eight bolts that hold the bumper brackets to the body by sticking a ratchet and socket in from the bottom( if you don't have a hitch) then getting the bumper off of the brackets is a lot easier. The impossible bolts you are talking about are actually pressed in( or welded on, i don't remember) studs in the bracket, i torched mine off and replaced with regular nuts and bolts, then you can put the brackets back on the xj first then bolt the bumper to( the only way i could do it with a hitch) that's why i asked hope this helps you out

misfit8 said:
On 97 and later take off the bumper end caps and go in from the side........

If you are a masochist that is :D
I got tired of screwing around and leaving dna blood and skin samples back there.
I finally just drilled 4 holes thru the face of the bumper big enough to put a 6" 3/8 extension thru. Then it's just a matter of putting a socket in side, put the extension on the socket and use a breakerbar or ratchet. My stock bumper is GONE and I replaced it with a Tomken w/2" receiver. Now I just use a box wrench from the top when I need to remove the bolts... If you keep the stock bumper with those holes you just go to home depot or any electronics store and get appropriate sized rubber/plastic plugs...

Blaine B. said:
Hey just a quick question....the bottom bolts on the XJ's rear bumper are easy access, but the top ones......well it looks like they are accessable from the top. Is there a way to remove the plastic cover between the body and bumper without having to cut a notch in it to fit a wrench in?

Oh, and by removing the plastic cover, I mean in a way so that it can be reused......aka, not damaged.

Thanks!

:huh:

I'm confused - on my '92, I think I was able to get to all four bolts on each rear bumper mounting bracket from below. What am I missing?

Back