• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Misfiring and Knocking-- Compression Results, Please help?

RShotl

NAXJA Forum User
I have been trying to fix my 1996 Jeep Cherokee sport, 4.0L 4x4 w/ 118K miles. I hope to god this car isn't dead because I am broke and need to get to school 20 miles away and I have no one to get rides from.
So far done the wires, spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor ignition, put in a new fuel injector where I thought I needed it. I pulled all the injectors and let them sit in cleaner over night. The new injector and cleaning all of them seemed to improve the driving a bit, but still knocks around when first applying gas/idle speeds mainly-- but some higher.
Anyways... just ran compression test... seems like bad news? What does this tell me??? Am I in trouble? Can this be causing the misfiring/knocking? Please any information you may have to help. I will be so happy if I can get this Jeep running : #1 - 120 then added some oil let it sit for a few minutes --> 140 #2- 150 #3- 150 #4- 160 #5- 160 #6-160

It is common for it to be lower on the #1 due to many factors which I will not go into right now.

The main thing is which injector did you replace? It looks like the #1 has a leaky injector and is washing down the cylinder.

FatXJ said:
It is common for it to be lower on the #1 due to many factors which I will not go into right now.

The main thing is which injector did you replace? It looks like the #1 has a leaky injector and is washing down the cylinder.
I replaced the 1st cylinder's fuel injector very recently, within the last 50 miles. So what do you think is up with the compression results? What am I up against here?

I just went out there again and now that first cylinder that I gave oil is reading 150....... Hmmm, seems compression checks out fine-- I should move on to other things or not??

Have you tried the the premium (hi octane fuel 91) if that makes the knock go a way then it time...........for a ROAD TRIP:variety: or you need some kind of upper cylinder cleaner to get the carbon out of the cylinder.

If that don't make the knock go a way:dunno:

can ya make it Knock when idling or revving it up in neutral?

Flash.

Back