• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

beginings of a cal hood

xj_brad

NAXJA Forum User
Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Picture022.jpg

What do you think? i had this extra hood lying around the shop so i figured i'd hack it up

That looks awsome. i wana do the same thing evetually.

i like it, looks familular
DSCN0358.jpg

sorry the pics so big, cowl helped to fit the SBC 350 and it reduces the under hood temps more than i can even guess.

Keep us updated on the progress Brad I am thinking of doing this very soon. did you get the idea from some web site if so which one?

should have left the rear frame cross member intact. If you don't care about your body lines or looks then never mind the rest of this.

Unless you take pains to keep it square you'll have strange angles at the cowl, the header and both quarter panels. as well as 3 dimensionally (the two sides where they mount could become raised or lowered in relation to each other, whereas before they were on the same plane) .. All the mounting shims in the world wont help if you weld one side torqued an inch higher than the other. It'll be like getting a potato chip to lay flat on a table :)

ALL of the bracing or cross members under the skin of the hood can be detached from the skin using a putty knife and not much elbow grease. It's just panel glue. Unfortunately you've already cut it...

If you look at my write up (linked by Jeepsloth) you'll see what I mean. Maybe you can cut the pinch seam at the cowl and pull the rear frame rail off the skin and weld it back to the rails? Did you cut the middle cross brace too? If so you'll need lots of patience to get that hood squared, considering it's tapered front to back, and curved along the cowl. and you have to do it in 3D. If you didn't then welding the rear rail back in after you separate it shouldn't be too much trouble and will save you from wondering why your hood is an inch higher than your header and quarter panel in one corner and rubbing on the fender on the other side, while having a 16th inch gap in one spot and a 3/8ths gap at another

Not trying to sh** on your project but you've definitely made your job harder. Even if you weld in a piece of tube and you haven't cut the X brace you'll save yourself a lot of "WTH happened" later, anyway good luck and keep us posted. I enjoyed building mine so much that I'm thinking about making a more aggressive version.

the middle brace is still in. and i made sure i did some extensive measuring. now that you pointed that out i wish i would have done it that way but its a little to late.. thanks though... hopefuly the next person that tackles this project will read this first

Back