• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle wrap with new RE 3.5 springs?

CSaddict

NAXJA Forum User
I have installed my RE 3.5 springs. I first installed them with 4 degree shims and new Ubolts. I found that if I rock the truck back and forth on the parking pin the axle wraps a bit(pinion angle changes slightly up and down.) I called Rubicon Express and they suggested I remove the shims and recheck all my hardware. I did this. Removed shims and checked all hardware. Rolled it back and forth on the parking pin again and it does the same thing. The springs are definately flexing causing this. I called RE back and they were dumbfounded. They said they never really checked to see if the springs did that. They want a video emailed to them which I can do tomorrow. Anyone else out there with these springs? Can you check if yours does this?

Leave it in park(or gear), rock the truck forward and back and watch the pinion. Does it move up and down slightly?

Thanks
David

that spring wrap your talking about is normal. I know ive rocked stock vehicles back and forth like your saying before and the axle wrapped the same way. You worry too much...
-Jerry

sandmcrew2 said:
that spring wrap your talking about is normal. I know ive rocked stock vehicles back and forth like your saying before and the axle wrapped the same way. You worry too much...
-Jerry

I thing so to but before you call it good, make a video and post it up her also!
I would like to see how much the spring are flexing to:dunno: :yelclap:

Flash.

Ive been running RE 3.5" leafs for about 9 months not and have repeatedly wheeled/flexed them many many times with a 3 people in the jeep and about 200lbs of cargo in the back. Yes they hav settled from their original height but no ill effects. I pulled them off a few weeks ago to swap sides and they were completely level with each other.

I think shocks have a lot to do w/ spring deteriation,etc.

I doubt any vehicle is designed to be driven w/ the e-brake on. Not a valid test. Any spring will do that. Obviously, the stiffer the spring, the less deflection.

Yup lots of axle wrap.........the thing here.........and i hadn't thought about it much till this thread was started. Is that for racing(laying down some rubber on the pavement)you need a vary stiff front segment of the main leaf

In the hills that part of the leaf need to be soft or flex to work properly or best. This will make a mad mad wheel hopper, if you ware to try and lay down a patch of rubber on the road! Just typing out loud :yap: :passgas:

Flash.

Last edited:
aplatz said:
So is it advisable to go with a OME HD spring pack w/ a higher lb./sq.in. ?

You would have to educate me on the OME but having a stiffer spring would help put if the from segment of the spring isn't any stronger it will not make any diff and if the front seg is stiffer,.........then it wouldn't flex as well...there is alway a trade.:)

flash.

I added an extra leaf to the pack (secondary leaf from another set of RE 4.5" springs), but that made the springs much stiffer. Rides and flexes fine, but the rear has a much higher roll stiffness now, so it doesn't flex much until the front is maxed out or nearly maxed out.

I'm currently trying to finish a traction bar project for my rig so I can swap the rear springs for something softer to balance out the flex.

Traction bar is the answer for wheel hop for sure!

What would be cool.......but haven't got a clue how......... is if it could be remove like a quick disconnect, like the front sway bars and still be strong......that would be way cool. the track bar will prevent most of the flex when off road.

flash.

A traction bar isn't going to limit flex offroad. And actually axle wrap offroad is the primary reason I'm doing the bar on my rig. ;)

Back