• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Serp Belt alignment

MaineJeepah

NAXJA Forum User
OK... so this post is really only for people searching. There is no need for everyone to chime in to tell me I'm an idiot. In my defense, the truck (89 MJ) was torn down to bare metal, and then sat for 1.5 years before I got to get back to work on it, so I can't be expected to know where EVERYTHING goes...

I have an 89 comanche 4.0L. I bought it out of a JunkYard. 65K miles and what I saw as a spun bearing. $500, missing a few engine parts, radiator, etc.

day 1 - I stripped the truck down, and sent the motor off for machining. I label EVERYTHING, but sometimes, when you think it is obvious - say like a PULLEY - why waste the effort. (PS - this is why)

3 mos later the motor comes back, and I purchased some parts online for a 4.0L jeep. paint the motor, and start assembling the bottom end, and the head.

Dust collects and life passes.

12 mos later, I am able to return to the project, and start by finnishing the motor assembly - including the water pump and parts purchased online.

The motor goes in, and the alt, ps, idler, 97 tensioner, h20, "in lieu of ac" pulley get added. [DID you notice that I missed one?] The belt does not line up all the away around. The water pump and harmonic balancer line up. The idler pulley, PS pulley, and the 97 style belt tensioner line up. The in "in lieu of AC" pulley, and alt. pulley line up, but I can't get the darn thing mounted using the stock brackets...

1. The forward alternator bracket has what is effctively a set of spacers behind it, so that it sits flat and doesn't hit the timing chain cover.

Now the alternator lines up with the PS, 97 tensioner, and idler.

2. There is a spacer that goes behind the "in lieu of AC" pulley. I'm not sure it it is stock, but I use a laser line to check everything... using the same spacer that the 97 tensioner uses, the rear groves now line up

That's 4 pulley wheels.... the serp belt almost lines up, BUT it is hitting on outside alt bracket... WTF?!?!

It took me forever to figure the last bit out... The trick is that I am also REMOVING the mech fan to use an electric one. sometimes too many modifications at once get confusing. Since the fan is not going to be installed, it is not there. AND neither is the pulley. WHERE did I misplace it you ask? Onto the water pump. ** Discovery #1 ** It seams the online pump that I purchased uses the same pulley bolt patern as the mech fan, so it seemed an obvious place to put it (not labeled) and it fit so well, why look any where else. With the fan pulley in the right place, the belt is routed correctly, and doesn't hit the alt bracket... SO, I need an H20 pulley... where the heck did that go? It is still on the original h20 pump in a box somewhere. Found it, but the original pulley doesn't fit. ** discovery #2 ** with the original pump in hand, I find that the h20 I bought is a LONG NECK ??? I didn't know they made longer neck pumps for 4.0L. With the right pump, & pulley, the belt should line up everywhere except the harmonic balancer...

** Discovery #3 **. Don't take 1.5 year breaks. You might store parts like harmonic balancers in place without actually installing them past finger tight.

Once it is seated all the way on, the belt should fit nice. See Dr. Dyno for the alternate belt routing with a 97 tensioner.

Dang I hate being stupid.

Back