• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Sway Bar D/C?

terryd

NAXJA Forum User
is there such a thing as a rear swaybar d/c?? i really like the way my jeep drives on the street now, and comming from a performance car back ground would like to keep most of the handling intact. i've seen front swaybar d/c all over the place, but was wondering if anyone has done anything w/ the rear yet??

I don't believe that there is a manufactured rear disconnect, as pretty much every one who wheels an xj just removes it. I suppose you could fabricate one, but I think that the difference is so negligable that you wouldnt miss it. The only times I have seen a need or would have liked to have one is towing with my XJ, which I do very little of.

Most people remove it.

Save the brackets...The make nice bar pin eliminators for the front later on. Search on here and you'll find info on the BPEs.

Bouncy said:
Most people remove it.

Save the brackets...The make nice bar pin eliminators for the front later on. Search on here and you'll find info on the BPEs.

ah, i searched but i'm not really sure what i'm looking for. i'm a novice at this stuff if you didn't notice. what is a bar pin eliminator?

Just take it out, you will never know its gone. If you want you can put it back in later.

i would just get some wing nuts and throw some stainless bolts in place of the bolt holding the bushing in and call it a day if u really want disconnects for the rear. I have a somewhat similar setup on the front of my jeep.

terryd said:
is there such a thing as a rear swaybar d/c?? i really like the way my jeep drives on the street now, and comming from a performance car back ground would like to keep most of the handling intact. i've seen front swaybar d/c all over the place, but was wondering if anyone has done anything w/ the rear yet??

Some people notice the difference with out the rear sway bar and others just ignore it.. If you come from a performance car background, then I think that you will notice the difference. I do.

The fact is... it makes and difference in the way the Jeep handles.

I made my own rear disconnects and love the drives on the street.

Elias
Eh-lee-us

hmm no front or rear swaybars at all over here! Just have to slow down when you make a sharp turn, not the end of the world. I thought I'd make some quick disconnects from the front, but the top of the links snapped while I was trying to get more droop out of the front for removing my oil pan and I've completely forgotten about having them.

There used to be a rear swaybar disconnect out there, but I can't find it now. It wouldn't be that hard to make your own. It's on my 2007 project plan as I am starting to tow a trailer alot, and with 6.5" of lift and 35's that gets wierd at times. ;)

rstarch345 said:
As much as saying this makes me choke and gag, but Rustys makes a disco for the rear swaybar. I won't give you a link to his site 'cause that's asking too much.

got u covered

its rustysoffroad.com
i bought a few things from them w/ no problems

1) your link doesnt work, ad a "www" ;)

2) skyjacker also makes one, it comes in their 6 and 8 inch lifts as an option, but I cant find any info on it now (maybe they deleted it?)

ok, two more questions, have any of you used anything to secure a poly spring spacer to the top of the spring. I'm getting ready to do a ZJ coil install and was thinkin about a pair of R**ty's .75" coil spacers as coil seats to help w/ road noise, and what is a bar-pin eliminator?

A bar pin eliminator is...Well hell this should be fun to describe.

If you look at the bottom mounting point of your front shock, you will see a BAR going through the shock end. It has 2 bolts that attach it to the axle.

That bar beats the hell out of the bushing and starts knocking. JKS sells Bar Pin Eliminators (BPEs). This is a different style pin that doesn't beat up the bushing and stops the noise. Also keeps the shock from breaking when it clunks on the bar pin.

You can get a set for the front bottom and the rear top.

Using a proper size bolt...Size I don't know cause I bought the BPEs from JKS...But using a proper size bolt and the bracket from your rear sway bar, you can MAKE a BPE for about 20 minutes work and 2 grade 8 bolts.

Hope that helps a bit.

.75 coil spacers...Why waste the time.

You have about .75 in your bushing at the top of your spring stock. Just put in the ZJ springs and go.

Or get a rubicon express long arm kit and go to Moab :D

thanks for the info on the BPE!!! and if i could afford the Rubicon long-arm, why would i even be messin w/ ZJ coils and spacers!!!! lol cheap wheelin, g/f says baby's gotta eat first, then power and rent, then maybe she'll let me play w/ my jeep...lol

terryd said:
g/f says baby's gotta eat first, then power and rent, then maybe she'll let me play w/ my jeep...lol

I like your priorities....

1) Food
2) Electricity
3) Roof over your head
4) WHEELING

Now, if everyone else thought like us.. :cheers:

Elias
Eh-lee-us

Back