• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Time for a TIG

Jump This

Just another minion!
I'm sick (and tired :D ) of not being able to weld my aluminium parts. I have put this off for over four years and now its time.
I need some guidance on what kind of unit to buy. I'm not thinking this will be a primary welder since I can burn a good bead with my MIG, but I don't like buying crap. I believe they make an upgrade kit for my Lincoln (SP 170 T) that would allow for aluminium but I'm not sure how well they work.
Any suggestions here?
Rick R:sunshine:

If you don't want to spend the money to but a tig machine just buy an aluminum spool gun for your mig welder. I use one and they work just fine.

All I have to say is that if your wanting to Tig aluminum without the big costs... I would recomend the Miller Econotig, 220v and both ac/dc capable for under 1500 bucks... I got one and love it... Now I just need more practice...

Clean-RC said:
All I have to say is that if your wanting to Tig aluminum without the big costs... I would recomend the Miller Econotig, 220v and both ac/dc capable for under 1500 bucks... I got one and love it... Now I just need more practice...

Practice, practice, practice... :D
This sounds like what I'm looking for.
Let me see about a distributor now!
Rick R
Thanks guys!

Jump,

I have the same welder (SP175T) and bought the aluminum kit... comes with new teflon cable liner, different drive rolls and sleeves and new tips. Kinda a pain to switch the liner out but overall it work OK for aluminum.

Big thing is keeping the cable straight to keep the Al wire from kinking/birdnesting. Welding to Al takes a bit of practice but the kit is much cheaper than springing for a TIG.

Back