• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running without O2 sensor

XJiggy

NAXJA Forum User
My exhaust was ripped off of the car 3 days ago and I was planning on driving to cincinnati this weekend to replace the whole system.

My dad was at the dealership today tlking to the mechanics and they said that they did not recomend making the trip because the engine would eb running "dangerously hot".

I know that the O2 sensor after the cat ( which is the one that is missing) plays a role in the regulation of air/fuel ratio so do you think that this is going to be a problem?

Who has run without an o2 sessor after the cat and can share their observations?

also everything was ripped off rght after the downtube and i have been driving it to school everyday. could CO2 be an issue in the cab?

CO2 could be an issue in the cab as could CO, If you do it do it with the windows open.

The O2 after the Cat only tells the computer that the Cat is doing its job and will not cause the engine to run hot.

How far is cinci from you? The danger comes in from exhaust gasses entering the cab and from hot exhaust blowing out near the fuel and clutch lines.

I am 4 hours away from cincinnati. all i have is the stock down tube so it is away from teh gas tank and i dont think the fuel line will be an issue.

How would I monitor if co or co2 is getten into the cab. i have an electric one at my house but it didnt give me an accurate reading when i tried it because i think it needs to be plugged into teh AC outlet.

You could go to the hardware store and get a battery powered Carbon monoxide detector, or just drive with the front windows cracked and if you start feeling any of these symptoms pull over and get some fresh air then decide if you can make it there or if you have to turn around.

If you still have the exhaust pipe that was right in front of the cat (the part where it bends to the passenger side of the vehicle) and you don't have any rust holes on the bottom side of the jeep I wouldn't be too worried about getting sick.... but thats just my opinion.

XJiggy said:
anyone dont really wana die from co2 posioning cause that would not be a good thing

The only way you're going to die from co2 poisoning is if you start snorting cola all the way to cincinnati ;) Otherwise the carbon monoxide from your exhaust, built up in you cab to say... 2500ppm, would kill you quickly. Worse yet, anything over 200ppm could impair you enough to run off the road or take someone else out. I would at least drive with the windows open and plenty of cross flow. Can you make some kind of temporary fix? -my .02

alright well i think what i am going to do is head up to advance auto and pick up some flexible exhaust line and just rout that towards the back of the car. I will just tie if off to the rear sway bar or drill a little hanger into the underside of the car. I think that should work

As long as you have the windows down, you should be OK.

Just ignore that check engine light thats probably already on...lol:D

Back