• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Keyless Entry Remote/FOB

SPVFD47

NAXJA Forum User
I put overhead console from a 89 XJ in my 90 XJ a while back. I'd like find a Keyless Remote/FOB for it. I have the vin from the donor XJ to get one from the dealer if thats still possible. I've heard that they use a IR system that fairly sucks. If possible I'd like to try to convert it over to a RF system. Has any had any luck with something like this ?

Doug

Good luck with the stealership! I went there a couple of weeks ago to try and get replacement transmitters for my 96 and they wanted $139.00 a piece plus $40.00 to program them! Needless to say I will be locking and unlocking by hand. Let me know if you find out a better deal.

The IR ones ar every limited in range and are flaky at best. If you remove the circuit board from the console, you should find a sticker with a number on it. That's the number you should use to get a keyfob. This would be the simplest way to go.

There's a bazillion aftermarket keyless remote sets available. I put in one that cost me $50 from Audiovox. All it takes is knowing how to read a schematic and a little bit of skill with a wire cuttter/crimper.

Thats what I'd like to do Saudade... I'm good with wiring and what not. Just haven't messed with the FOB's for cars. Can you show me some pics of what you did ? Do you still need to use the little ball IR sensor, or did you get rid of that ? Also the electronic box in the overhead console ? I'm looking for something that I can replace all that with something simular just a RF type.

Please keep us posted on how you make out with this. I am in MD and would be VERY willing to drive to you and hook you up with some cash if you could do this to mine. Please let me know. Thanks!

I mounted the control unit under the forward floor console. Most of the wires you need to splice are right there under the dash. The unit I bought also had a remote starter, ign kill, and a few other things I didn't hook up. I only did the keyless remote, with the horn chirp and lights flash.

There are 2 relays located under the Pass side kick panel. These are the lock/unlock relays. A small harness comes from the old IR sensor in the headliner and connects to these 2 relays. Simply splice the lock/unlock wires from the new control unit into these. Then you only have several power cables to connect.

I found the Haynes manual wiring diragram to be usefull enough for this. You'll need a ohm/volt meter as well. The volt meter will verify the wires you use for power only have power when they are supposed to.

BTW: I spliced in my new unit while leaving the old circuits intact. The IR receiver is still in the headliner. This was just my personal choice.

Where I can I get a replacement keyfob for the orgininal IR reciever besides the dealership?

Thanks, Saudade. I was thinking of doing the same thing. I also thought about this. Seeing as all the wiring is already up in the overhead console if there was a way of taking out the IR module up there and taking a RF module out of a newer XJ or ZJ and trying it in. I'm trying to research what years use the RF modules. I have friend has a salvage yard, I'm planning on going there tomorrow to pick apart some stuff. BTW what aftermarket model did you buy ?

I bought a cheapie Audiovox I found at AutoZone one day. The hardest part was figuring out which wires provided power under the needed circumstances. Some of the wire colors indicated in the Haynes and FSM schematics didn't really match.

Seemed to me that the cost of replacing the one remote was more expensive than buying a whole new system that had two remotes. The range is much greater and I can add some of the other features later on if I want to.

Back