• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Speed Sensor help (what is this thing??)

ADVNTURR

I worry when rattles stop
Hey all,

I have a quick question I am hoping someone can answer for me pretty soon. I just got a new speed sensor for my 91 4.0 Auto w/ NP231 because my speedometer has been on the fritz and the sensor seemed like the culprit. I got a new one from the stealership and when I went to install it I realized it didn't look the same as the one it was replacing (see pictures below)

1b86re2.jpg

6a60re2.jpg

Does anyone know what the threaded piece coming off the back is? It has an O-ring on it so I am assuming something is supposed to seal on it but I have nothing to put on there. I am just trying to figure out if I can still use it or if I am our a bunch of money since i doubt they'll take the part back.

Thanks, any help would be greatly appreciated.

The part with the O rin looks like that is the part that mounts on your trans. Looks like you have to unscrew the old speed sensor off the o ring part and screw the new part onto the o ring part.

If someone could delete this post, I found the answer to my problem after searching through a couple parts catologues. Apparently the local stealership can't comprehend that my Jeep is a 1991 and not a 1990 despite having said 91 several times.

Back