• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I've got a code what do you think it is???

Jeep839

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so the code off of a Actron CP9135 Unit is giving me:

P0455: EVAP Emission Control System Leak (Large)

What should I be looking at to see if it needs to be replaced.
I'm working on a 2000 XJ 4.0

You mite try tighting the gas cap.Or look for one of the hoses pulled off the charcoal canister in the engine bay.
Wayne

Cap loose, tighten at least 5 clicks, caps also do go bad. Vac cannister as noted, it's underneath in front of the rear axle attached to the body, has all the hoses running out of it. River had issues with hoses going up to the engine compartment that he had to replace and it took him a while to find them. One thing a shop has is a smoke generator, very handy for finding hose leaks..all you do is fill the system with smoke under a bit of pressure and look for it.

I did the gas cap trick, it's only about a month old. Got nothin on that.

I will look at the canister, is there anyway I can put smoke into the system? has anyone done this, what house do I take off to inject the smoke into??

Jeep839 said:
I did the gas cap trick, it's only about a month old. Got nothin on that.

I will look at the canister, is there anyway I can put smoke into the system? has anyone done this, what house do I take off to inject the smoke into??
The couple of times I've used it I pull the end of the hose I want to check, usually one that runs the full length, put the generator on it and 'puff some thru'. Usually having an extra pair of eyes with a flood light looking. It's only at like 5psi, don't want to blow them off the other end. I've also stuck a hose on the generator and walk it along underneath [on a lift] when the smoke 'moves' you found a leak, sometimes vac, sometimes pressure. Thats with the engine running/on lift, sometimes with a big piece of cardboard under the motor on a oil drain thingy so the fan does not move air back.
Vac line on my 98 are actually on my list, wholesale replacement of everything thats underneath, this summer.

Last edited:
Back