• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!!!

jdurbach

NAXJA Forum User
:hang: How do you get to the upper shackle mounts on the inside of a xj? Mine are blocked my a bunch of metal I assume is part of the unibody. Also will I need ot unbolt the shockes to put on rustys 1.5" shackle.

Use a wrench? , I think it's 13/16, but I could be wrong. You shouldn't need to unbolt the shocks.

Guessing that maybe the bolt is seized in there. Try a decent sized breaker bar to get the thing movin'. It's threaded into a stationary nut on the frame rail. So you just need to thread it out like a normal bolt. No nut to put a wrench on. And as Cal said, you don't need to unbolt your shocks.

91 Jeep Project pretty much covered it, theres no nut on the other side. The "nut" is welded to the frame. Get a giant breaker bar with a socket and put your body weight into it.

get them real tight after you put weight back on the jeep and be sure to put some anti seize in the bolt so it dosent get stuck in there.ive never torqued the bolts with a torque wrench just got them tight

justin

and make sure when you tighten it it is on the wheels at ride height!!! do not torque the shackle bolt while its in the air still, lower it down and put the jeep's weight on the wheels. that goes for all suspension components.

it might also be easier to break the shackle bolt lose while its on the ground also.

Back