• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bomb proofing AW4

FX2_SR5

NAXJA Forum User
Bomb proofing AW4

I am sure this issue has been brought up several times. I have a friend with 1994 XJ 4.0 with AW4 on 7:1 portal axles running 40” meats that’s being regularly abused. He’s running Toyota pick-up t-case because of different side differentials offset than stock Dana axles would have. As you all know, AW4 will accept rear Toyota t-case.
I got several issues with AW4 that I’d like to solve.
Does anyone know on the market any heavy duty rebuild kits for AW4? I did some search and it looks like a general overhaul kit is being offered. I need something with thick friction pads that will withstand abuse from 40” tires. Another issue that I have it’s waterproofing AW4 and making it easier for it to breath. It’s got stock breather tube but it looks awfully small. I’d like to have a custom snorkel made for AW4 that would be like 1” in diameter. Since AW4 is electronically controlled – it brings up another issue. I’d like to be able manually shift it. For instance I have a very short distance to drive before a steep incline and when I shift into D, it starts in 1st, then shifts to 2nd. I’d like to be able to start right in 2nd gear and keep it that way. I know there’s awshifting.com site and I should contact them.
Due to my limited knowledge of automatics – would anyone suggest running TH400R then instead of AW4? Please correct me if I am wrong. If I to get 400R I won’t be able to mate it with Toyota 4Runner/pick-up t-case – which brings another issue for me. May be I can get a then a common combo TH400R and NP205 t-case then?
Thanks,
Andrey

not really sure but i dont think they make an adapter from a 4.0 to a th400, but im pretty sure they do make a th400 to toy case adapter. with the poposal of these different setups ill make my own, 12 valve cummins,nv4500,atlas 4 speed, problem solved with a bomb proof setup that if taken care of will last upwards of 500k miles. now onto your problem, the aw4 is basicly the same tranny used in toys which in the supras get 500 hp after people modify them. i suggest locating a bulletin board for people drag racing them with big hp numbers and finding out what they are doing to thier trannys, then come share what you find for the rest of us. also if you search i think in the street/performance forum this subject was just recently discussed.

you can also get a passenger side output by doing a 231-flipped d300 dual case setup, but if you upgrade the output from longfield the toy cases are pretty stout and very cheap/readily available along with dual case adapters and low gears.

if you stay with the aw4 i highly suggest brettm's shifter from awshifting to solve the selection of gear problem, i personaly will be ordering one in the next two months along with a box 4 rocks dual case adapter.

The AW4 is pretty much bullet proof stock. I'm running biased ply 40" tires & the only upgrade I've made to the tranny is a heavy cooler. It's pretty rare to find people that have had problems with the AW4. Talk to Brett (awshifting.com) for the shifter. He seems to have it all worked out with a variety of different switches availible. Do a nice rebuild, pack all eletrical connectors with dielectric grease, & abuse the snot out of it.

Matt

Thanks all of replies.
Matt - I've read a lot about AW4 durability. Basically, my friend was complaining about AW4 that it has way too much electronics. That sometimes he had to turn off the ignition and wait for 10 seconds - and then his AW4 would work normal. I believe he has some eletrical glitch and he needs to check his electrical connections. He submerges his XJ into mug and bog alot and that's might be the case.
I'll speak with Brett (awshifting.com) re. shifting options.
Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited:
Level10 and IPT have valve body upgrades that I've heard wonderful things about, but are unnecessary with a relatively stock motor as the AW4 is very strong and reliable in stock form.

The AW4 only has a lot of electronics if you want everything to function like factory. I swapped an AW4 in place of a manual and there are only 3 wires connected to the AW4 and the shifting is manuall controlled. Your friend who sometimes has to turn off the ignition for 10 seconds likely has a problem with the NSS on the transmission, which can be bypassed.

88rockxj said:
not really sure but i dont think they make an adapter from a 4.0 to a th400, but im pretty sure they do make a th400 to toy case adapter. with the poposal of these different setups ill make my own, 12 valve cummins,nv4500,atlas 4 speed, problem solved with a bomb proof setup that if taken care of will last upwards of 500k miles. now onto your problem, the aw4 is basicly the same tranny used in toys which in the supras get 500 hp after people modify them. i suggest locating a bulletin board for people drag racing them with big hp numbers and finding out what they are doing to thier trannys, then come share what you find for the rest of us. also if you search i think in the street/performance forum this subject was just recently discussed.

you can also get a passenger side output by doing a 231-flipped d300 dual case setup, but if you upgrade the output from longfield the toy cases are pretty stout and very cheap/readily available along with dual case adapters and low gears.

if you stay with the aw4 i highly suggest brettm's shifter from awshifting to solve the selection of gear problem, i personaly will be ordering one in the next two months along with a box 4 rocks dual case adapter.
88rockxj said:
not really sure but i dont think they make an adapter from a 4.0 to a th400
How many would you like? <G> Jeep used the TH400 from '68 or so (Buick nailhead version with an adapter ring till late '73, then AMC patterned with QT till '79) You'd need to manufacture a flexplate (tack the tone ring on in the correct position) and make the CPS hole in the correct position (I'm doing this with an AMC case 727 to put into my '82 AMC Spirit so I can run HO EFI on my 4.2L) or get the harmonic balancer mounted CPS kit.

As for the AW4, Lexus (fancy word for Toyota) uses their version in the V8 turbo SUVs and also Landcruiser diesels use them. There is even a 6 and 7 speed version available. A friend is modding one to run with an AW4 bellhousing behind his turbo charged 401 AMC powered Milner Coupe.

I've got no advice as far as beefing up the tranny aside form add a big cooler and keep a spare AW4 in the garage just in case.

As for shifting options you could check out this option if you just want 1/2 and lockup selection on a budget:
http://www.bigoffroad.com/bigpages/bigtech/2ndgear.htm

carnuck said:
How many would you like? <G> Jeep used the TH400 from '68 or so (Buick nailhead version with an adapter ring till late '73, then AMC patterned with QT till '79) You'd need to manufacture a flexplate (tack the tone ring on in the correct position) and make the CPS hole in the correct position (I'm doing this with an AMC case 727 to put into my '82 AMC Spirit so I can run HO EFI on my 4.2L) or get the harmonic balancer mounted CPS kit.

As for the AW4, Lexus (fancy word for Toyota) uses their version in the V8 turbo SUVs and also Landcruiser diesels use them. There is even a 6 and 7 speed version available. A friend is modding one to run with an AW4 bellhousing behind his turbo charged 401 AMC powered Milner Coupe.

i am very aware that the th400 was used behind amc v8s i owned a fs cherokee with a 360/th400 combo , i did not how ever know that they will bolt up to a 4.0. thanks for the information, i enjoy when i am wrong becuase i learn.

All AMC 6 cyls '72 and newer (except a few leftover postal Jeeps) have the same bell as the V8. The difference is the flexplate balance. (zero for 6 cyl and offset on V8 according to engine size)

K&N makes a sweet intake filter for the AW4 breather, BTW. 1" tubing might be adequate but i would step up to 1.125 or 1.25" to really get it flowing.

:)

SeanP said:
K&N makes a sweet intake filter for the AW4 breather, BTW. 1" tubing might be adequate but i would step up to 1.125 or 1.25" to really get it flowing.

**Gotta link re the K&N breather?? Didn't come up with anything... Thanks!

SeanP said:

The K&N filter did not work at all for me, let in way too much, I went with the Airaid fliter, but I did step up to the 1.125, it really flows!

FarmerMatt said:
The AW4 is pretty much bullet proof stock. I'm running biased ply 40" tires & the only upgrade I've made to the tranny is a heavy cooler. It's pretty rare to find people that have had problems with the AW4. Talk to Brett (awshifting.com) for the shifter. He seems to have it all worked out with a variety of different switches availible. Do a nice rebuild, pack all eletrical connectors with dielectric grease, & abuse the snot out of it.

Matt
I'm on my third one, kinda tired of changing the things, when they start to go I notice that the tranny temp gets hot going up a hill but pegs coasting down the other side, pump problem? don't know, have a huge cooler on the front, bypassed the stock one in the radiator, running a stroker with a few extra goodies, and a lead foot. thinking about going to a clifford/redline computer to controll the motor, but don't dare till I get the tranny cured.

I have also had great experiences with the aw-4. one quick tip: take the gaskets out of the valve body to increase shift feel. The manual from chrysler indicates that these transmissions came both with and without gaskets and I have found that removing the gaskets in 4 different vehicles has produced crisper shifts and better performance.

brent said:
I'm on my third one, kinda tired of changing the things, when they start to go I notice that the tranny temp gets hot going up a hill but pegs coasting down the other side, pump problem? don't know, have a huge cooler on the front, bypassed the stock one in the radiator, running a stroker with a few extra goodies, and a lead foot. thinking about going to a clifford/redline computer to controll the motor, but don't dare till I get the tranny cured.

You need to feed the tranny oil, not vodka. I think that will solve your problem...

Are you just putting in junkyard units or are you rebuilding them?

FarmerMatt said:
You need to feed the tranny oil, not vodka. I think that will solve your problem...

Are you just putting in junkyard units or are you rebuilding them?
first was stock, second was dealer reman, third was junk yard. I've got the dealer reman unit at the tranny shop now, trying to research how to make it hold up, or toss in a 700r4 in its place, I believe advanced adaptors has the adaptor its only arround 350, or I can drop some serious coin for a built one from here http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

on the other hand, vodka may not be a bad idea :cheers:

As for the AW4, Lexus (fancy word for Toyota) uses their version in the V8 turbo SUVs and also Landcruiser diesels use them. There is even a 6 and 7 speed version available.

Uh,OK, I am not very transmission literate. Are you saying that there are AW4s with 6 & 7 speeds available that will direct bolt-in?
Can someone clarify this? Specifically what vehicles (year/model) have these and what, if any, adaptors need to be used?

Thanks

old thread, but no, there is an aw6 and if what hes saying is true an aw7.

the only aw6 i know of is a transaxle tho. mazda is using it in the cx9

Back