• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water is driving me crazy!

sprinkler1228

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 laredo and I have a problem I can't figure out. I have a water leak on the passenger side. When it rains for a long period. I searched ( alot ) and found these things to check.
1. Windshield gasket.
I had the windshield replaced since it had a crack anyway and a new black rubber gasket installed. STILL LEAKS. also took it back to have them check the seal and it was all good.

2. Took the blower motor out put a bead of silicone on the motor lip as well as the seat in the motor housing. Reinstalled the motor and put a bead on the outside of the motor also. STILL LEAKS.

3. Took the wipers and cowl off and put a hose in the cowl got in the rig and no leak.

It rained last night again. Got under the dash and can see that it is weeping a little at a time from the heater box and running down. I I also looked under the hood and the tube by the blower motor is not kinked and by sticking my finger up to the bend is not clogged.

Any ideas what I can do. It just started doing this a month or so ago and I can't for the life of me figure it out but everytime it rains I have water. Thanks.

I can actually put my finger on the foam around the whole box from inside and I think that is where the leak is coming from. How would I replace or fix that without removing the dash

try giving is more time before asking again. There are tons of people on this form, but probably only a handful that will have experience with this type of situate. If you are patient, the answers will come.

Take off the passenger side kick panel and see if the grommet (about 2" diameter) where the radio antennna comes through is off or missing. Thats where my water was coming from. I sprayed it full of that insulation in a can and put the kick panel back on. No more leak.

No that is fine I can see where its dripping down from the heater box.It has water marks running down the floor boarrd as well as I watched it.

I have had the same problem in my 91xj for over a year. I think you cehcked most everything I did. Ended up removing my carpet kit and drilling a couple small holes in the floor. Now it's a Jeep! Please post if you find a solution... -TJ

The foam where you say it is coming from - so you mean the round blower seal against the front of the firewall or the rectangular foam on top that seals against the bottom side of the cowl?

I had the exact same situation with my 98 XJ looked and looked, finally took a can of spray foam (silicone can work too) and lined the foam gasket around the heater box with the spray foam. I have only had it leak a little since, before i could end up with almost 2inches of water on the floor board.

Ok I'll try soaking the gasket with silicone spray then if that doesn't work I'll insulate it.

I am refering to the inside of the rig where the blower box meets the firewall down by the blower. The blower sits on the outside of the box in the engine crtment.

make sure the hose on your blower fan isn't disconnected or damaged. Mine had been pulled out of it's "hole" and everytime there was water sitting on the firewall and I turned the fan on, it blew water all over the place! I jammed it back in and no more leaks, but you might want to check the hose for a tight fit and even silicone around the bottom as it may be seeping a little and blowing it all over the passenger floor.
I'm talking about the small hose that goes from the center of the blower fan to th bottom of the fan. It is around 1" diameter and has a sharp 90 degree bend at the bottom where it plugs back into the fan and sits right next to the firewall. Even if it feels like a tight fit, it might be slowly taking in water. I'd check it out.

Back