• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 Trac-loc

KSXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a D44 out of an XJ that has a Limited slip. I beleive it has the Trac-loc in it. Is that correct?

If so, it doesn't seem to be locking up all the time. Once in a while I can get both tires to spin, but I just went wheeling yesterday in the snow and I was only getting one tire to spin. Is this normal with a trac-loc or do I need to rebuild it? And if I do how?

Yes, it's normal for a limited slip to only spin one tire. A limited slip is just that, it limits slip but does not lock both axles together like a locker does. Normally a limited slip will transfer 30% of the power to the tire with the most traction.

Now, if the one you have is allowing one tire to spin in the snow, it's probably worn out and doing very little.

Ive had rebuilt limited slips do that and it is faily normal for it to do in snow and ice and sand, if your gona rebuild it do a search on here and find the posts on adding extra friction disks, I did it on my 44 and it works a lot better but still nothing like a locker

Back