• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is this and why is it leaking? - Steering

Crusher16

RRC President
NAXJA Member
Obviously, its part of the steering but I don't know if its a gasket or something.

1991 Cherokee.
Right at the end of the steering shaft.

Leaky_steering.jpg

try a can of power steering stop leak, it should help swell the rubber in the seals, or just get a new box.

limegrnxj said:
you can get a steering box input seal from napa

Easy to replace or is a new box in order? Its been leaking long enough for the driveway stains to actually start bugging me.

The adjustment at the input shaft is fairly critical. You will likely will have to setup the whole box from scratch (center over adjustment, center and preload). Not really all that hard, but you'll need a good book, an inch pound torque wrench and some luck. The luck part is how worn the internals are. The ball bearings in the worm gear wear and tightening things back up to stock specifications, can cause overheating, binding and accelerated bearing wear. Gearboxes aren't all that expensive, I usually try and fix my own stuff (not much I won't tackle), but draw the line at steering gear boxes for obvious reasons. I've had some bad experiences.

8Mud said:
The adjustment at the input shaft is fairly critical. You will likely will have to setup the whole box from scratch (center over adjustment, center and preload). Not really all that hard, but you'll need a good book, an inch pound torque wrench and some luck. The luck part is how worn the internals are. The ball bearings in the worm gear wear and tightening things back up to stock specifications, can cause overheating, binding and accelerated bearing wear. Gearboxes aren't all that expensive, I usually try and fix my own stuff (not much I won't tackle), but draw the line at steering gear boxes for obvious reasons. I've had some bad experiences.

Ah. Heh. I think a new one is in order than. Thanks for the help. :)

Back