• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

head bolt bottoming?

sjkimmel99

NAXJA Forum User
I searched but didn't find anything related to this.

Has anyone encountered a situation where the head bolts bottomed in the head and didn't apply the right amount of tension?

96 H.O. being rebuilt with a 7120 head.

Head milled .015 + another.002 after the shop dropped it and pock marked the surface.
Victor .045 gasket
Block milled .015.
So that's .032 + .006 for the gasket difference or .038 closer together than stock. .032 doesn't look like that much.

replacement standard felpro head bolts.
head threads chased, brush cleaned and washed out with brake cleaner.

Since I didn't find anything about it by searching I'm guessing it's not a problem that people have encountered but was reading these two articles about head gasket failure (funny, just noticed they're both by the same guy.)

http://www.aa1car.com/library/ic697.htm
http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us80222.htm

He mentions that if any resurfacing has been done you should check the length of the bolts against the depth of any blind holes and potentially use hardened washers to raise the bolt head up to avoid bottoming out.

Unfortunately I didn't think of doing that until after putting the head on. There wasn't anything that occured during the install to make me think that any of the bolts had bottomed. I followed the 3 stage tightening process, going in the circular inside to outside pattern in the manual.

Perhaps I'm over thinking this but it would be easier to untorque the bolts, check the holes and then get shims or washers and install a new gasket before installing the rest of the parts.

If this isn't an issue that anyone else has encountered then I'm not going to worry further about it.

Thanks.

I have never had that problem, BUT, if I did, I believe I would cut/grind off a sufficent amount of the threaded end of the bolt before I would use washers/shims. A bolt bottoming out is certainly NOT GOOD! I would dig around in the bottom of the threaded holes with an ice pick or such and blow them out with air. And as you have already done, do some more measuring. Starting with the one you know for sure is bottoming out.
Good Luck!

Back