• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

miller welder compairason which to buy

bj-666

NAXJA Forum User
I'm on the hunt for a high quality mig welder for fabrication on the jeep i've been welding for a few years with an old ac stick and I am ready to move on to a better machine. I am usually welding from 1/8"-3/8" with the stick but i would also like to be able to do sheet metal. I've read a lot about all the different mfg's of welders and came to the conclusion that miller is just about the best you can buy. i want a welder i can continue to use for years to come on bigger and bigger projects . the only differences i see between these two welders is obvious amp rating 3/8" vs 1/2" single pass capibilities. The 251 has Adjustable run-in, Active Arc Stabilizer™ Fan-on-Demand™ while the 210 does not how important are these fetures and just what are they used for.
Millermatic 210

http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-46.pdf

or
millermatic 251
http://www.millerwelds.com/pdf/spec_sheets/DC12-49.pdf

I'm not to experienced in different machines, but I can tell you some buddies and I all put in for a Millermatic 210 and it prolly was the best damn thing ever! We eventually traded it for a lincoln 140, air compressor, and some cash. Def a big difference. But then again the 140 is a whole lot smaller machine. I guess what i'm trying to say is I've never compared the 210 to similar machines but from using ours, we loved it and now miss it. I'm looking to get a miller 180 soon.

I have used millers and hobarts very similar quality and performance you can get hobarts at Tractor Supply Company i work there so i get most of my stuff there.

thanks for the input but i'm pretty set on a miller just wondering what the different features do and if i really need them.
thanks
Brandon

While not being completely on topic with this....my Millermatic 175 will weld 20 gauge with a little care....it will also weld up to 3/8 in one pass with the proper technique.

I've used a millermatic 210 at work quite a bit. VERY nice machine, only prob is it doesn't like to feed. If you coil the cable in a loop the machine wouldn't feed the cable. Took it back twice, you know what they told us? Don't make a loop in the cable!!!!

I have had my Miller 210 for about 5 months & have no complaints, not one works like a champ & well worth money. Had an older Millermatic 35 for 15 years & it was 5 years old before I got & never put one dime in it except gas, wire & tips. Can't go wrong with Miller...Just my opinion.

I had a millermatic 251 and had a few problems with it. I was dissatisfied with the the quality of the machice. So I returned it for repairs and they gave me a lincoln 255 as a loner while my miller was being repaired. I fell in love with the lincoln and purchased a new one. I now have two of the 255's and love them I will probably never buy a miller MIG again. I have welded with alot of different machines and I still think the Lincoln welds the best.

the active arc stabilizer is supposedly supposed to give you better arc control which means less spatter and make it easier to get a good weld. the fan on demand just keeps the welder running cooler. ive never used the miller 251 so cant say anything about it, but ive used the 250 and never had any problems with it.

I had a miller 175 until some mother Fu*! stole it from my gerage. The 175 is a awsome machine it can weld stainless and aluminum and is very reliable. The 2007 model is the 180 and is the same thing as the 175. The 180 is about $789.00.

I have a Miller 175 that is 7 or 8 years old and it is a fantastic machine. With the proper prep work and technique you can do 3/8" but its not the ideal machine for that thick of material. I have welded sheet metal with this machine and it does great, just have to set it up with the proper wire size.

At school I use a Miller 210. It is a fantastic machine and does everything my 175 does execpt better :)

At work I use the Lincoln 215 power mig. One machine is setup for steel and it welds just as good as the Miller 210 and the other machine is set up with a spool gun for aluminum. All of the above are good machines and for home garage use, you wont make a mistake with any of them. Well that at least is my opinion :D

AARON

Back