• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mounting position for transmission oil cooler

jnickols

NAXJA Forum User
Hi Folks!

Have a question...I getting ready to order a Tru-Cool Low Pressure Drop transmission cooler for my '98 XJ, 4.0L, 4WD.

Does the position of the of the 'inlet-outlet' fittings matter? i.e - can the cooler be positioned so the fittings point down or should they point left or right to maximize cooling? I've seen pictures with the cooler mounted both ways.

Thanks All!

(I'm new to your site...and this place is great!..thanks!)

J. Nickols
Tucson, Az

I mounted mine with the fittings on the horizontal as the instructions led me to believe that was the way to do it. It was also easier to install that way since there isn't much room room in front of the radiator to mount vertically. It helped in routing the hoses as well since I used the intake air hole that was previously used by the irbox. If your rig is a later model this hole may be missing as I recall some of them did not take air in the same way. I went to a cone filter setup and this created some extra space. I'm presently running lines for both a trans cooler and a power steering cooler through this spot. I vaguely recall that there is a small plate that covers this hole in the sheet metal on later model rigs and it can be removed with one or two self tappers taken out. Your situation may vary.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter, since the fluid flows under some pressure. The only important thing is to keep the cooler below the level of the reservoir.

Goatman said:
It doesn't matter, since the fluid flows under some pressure. The only important thing is to keep the cooler below the level of the reservoir.

Why? That wouldn't make any sense especially for the tranny. No matter how you mount it, it's not gonna be lower than the tranny resevoir. I'm lost, so please light the path.

x2, this smells of PUI- posting under the influence :D

Simo said:
below reservoir to bleed the air out easier

I understand the idea, but that's only a real worry with brakes, not tranny/motor coolers. Brake lines need to be below the resevoir, but it doesn't matter where you mount your cooler's....engine or tranny coolers. Take a look at half a dozen baja trucks and buggies....oh well.

Only reservoir he might be referring to is for the power steering. That would make more sense if mounting a cooler for that but would be pretty damn hard to mount that higher than its reservoir anyway?

Whatever he meant, track him down to have him clarify for you.

Goatman is not the kind of person who tells you something that is not 100% accurate, but he is the kind of person who may know something you don't know.

yeah sorry i was thinking power steering for some strange reason. id say mount the tranny cooler in a position below the top of any opening like the breather or dipstik.

53guy said:
Why? That wouldn't make any sense especially for the tranny. No matter how you mount it, it's not gonna be lower than the tranny resevoir. I'm lost, so please light the path.

Oops! Got tranny cooler mixed up with power steering cooler. :)

Don't worry about how high it is....or which direction it's mounted.

Back