• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fixed bad AW4 shifting

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
I have been having problems recently with my AW4 miss shifting and feeling like it was searching for the right gear. I suspected the TPS, but last night decided to try unplugging the TCU fuse and leaving it unplugged overnight. This morning I plugged it back in and adjusted my TV position and now everything is back to normal, no more searching for gears etc, it's all perfect. I didn't think the TV position would have an impact on tranny shifting.
The jeep feels new again too, great response as soon as I step on the gas it just GOES. I guess the TV cable was a little stretched and in need of adjustment.
Anyways I'm happy to report that my tranny problems have disappeared and anyone else having similiar problems would be best advised to adjust the TV position if the TPS is not suspect.
I'm also not sure if leaving the TCU fuse unplugged overnight reset the computer or something but it now shifts as new.

well I am sad to report that the problem re-manifested itself after around 75km of driving this morning. Shifted like a dream at first then started doing the same thing(mis-shifting etc). I'm not sure why it would have come back, but I suppose it is likely a problem with my TPS after all. I still can't figure out why it would have dissapeared for around 100km total then started acting up again all of a sudden.
Some of the problem is just the normal operation of the torque converter, but I am definately getting some problems with the tranny searching for the right gear, revving to 2700RPM then finding the right gear and shifting.

I'm not good at explaining things, so I won't try to explain how to adjust the TV cable(it'll just confuse you and me both haha). It's a very easy process, takes 2 seconds and really improves shifting and throttle response.

Back