• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 XJ 4WD AW4: Transfer Case Torx Size - Searched

Sand-Dog

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ PM for the weekend is to change out the Dextron III in the AW4 (done, no prob) and t-case. First time to change out these fluids on this vehicle since I bought it a few months ago (just clicked 75K mile, PO had it done at 45K). Anyway, the T-case has TWO Torx plugs facing the rear. One is amost in line above the drain plug, the other is much lower and to the left. I am guessing it is the higher plug that I use to add fluid. Can someone confirm that? Also, both are definitley Torx. I'm estimating T-60. Can anyone confirm that is the size before I head to NAPA to buy one? BTW, tried to use an Allen on it...no joy. I will need to buy the Torx tool.

The higher one is the fill plug, and the lower one is the drain plug. They are both the same size.

I don't remember for the life of me what size torx they were though....and i just did this about 3 weeks ago too.

Bought two Torx...%55 and 60. It was the 55. BUT the drain/fill plugs are not budging. It's like they are welded into the t-case. I will spray 'em with PB Blaster, but I dont see how it will seep in. I'm kinda afraid to use a breaker bar, in fear that I will break the aluminum housing of the t-case. I'll do a search on this new issue now, but if anyone knows a quick fix, please let me know. Will heating the t-case do it? Looks like the dissimilar metals of the t-case and plug have caused corrosion around the plug.

Sand-Dog said:
Bought two Torx...%55 and 60. It was the 55. BUT the drain/fill plugs are not budging. It's like they are welded into the t-case. I will spray 'em with PB Blaster, but I dont see how it will seep in. I'm kinda afraid to use a breaker bar, in fear that I will break the aluminum housing of the t-case. I'll do a search on this new issue now, but if anyone knows a quick fix, please let me know. Will heating the t-case do it? Looks like the dissimilar metals of the t-case and plug have caused corrosion around the plug.

fix = cheater bar or hammer you aint gonna break the TC.......

Be prepared though once they do break loose....there's not a whole lot of threadage on those two plugs.

How many versions of those freakin' plugs have they made?!?!?

On my 99 they weren't torx, but regular hex - 10 mm I think. A previous owner had totally munged the fill plug, and I couldn't get it off with any allen wrench. Even my usual trick of grinding a larger wrench down with sharp edges, sawing the end off and hammering it in, didn't work. I finally managed to grind down a 3/8 inch drive allen socket from a cheap US set, hammer it in and weld it to the plug.

Fortunately, the old 30 mm. plugs still fit, but it's still a crazy design, considering that they could just have done it with a 3.8 inch square hole.

Back