• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wiper Delay problem ?

Pharaoh XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Guys I have a 1994 HO AW4 auto
with the 3 spoke sport style steering wheel

I was trying to turn the wipers on the other day it only works on high the delay doesnt work. The cruise control works fine. The wipers the cruise control and the turn signals are on the same stick on left of the steering wheel.

I searched but couldnt understand where exactly the problem is.

Thanks..

The wiper modulator is just on the inside of the 'knee bolster' right on the bottom of the dash, almost underneath the steering column. It's tucked under there, and held in place by velcro. There's a wire harness that clips into the front and back (or left & right when viewed from the driver's seat.)

When getting to it, I've had to hang almost upside down with my feet over the back of the seat, my back on the seat bottom, and my head + shoulders under the dash. It's uncomfortable, but doable. (I'm over 6' tall though, might be easier for someone with less bulk!)

Tear that sucker off, unclip the wire harnesses, and you're ready to slap a new one in! On my 94, the harness had simply worked loose. It sounds like that's what might have happened to you.

Good hunting!

:)

On my 88 Laredo I have delay, low and high. The delay never worked so one day I swapped in another delay module. Still didn't work. Got the wiring schematic out and tested at the module plug to determine the status of the switch. Turns out the delay setting is an open circuit, where it should have been variable resistance. For the heck of it I jumped the wires together that go to/from the delay part of the switch and plugged it all back together. Now when I set the selector to delay it does work, but it is at the shortest delay setting. Moving the dial won't change the delay time. It is still better on a light misty rain than not having delay, and easier than replacing the switch assembly. Hi and low still work normal. Some day when I have the time to play around I want to try wiring a variable resister into the jumper wire that is there now to see if I can get full control of the delay again.

In a pinch, you can plug the input and output connector to the module together giving you both low and high settings without the delay. Go to a junk yard and get another one.

Back