• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering column removal.. Airbag question

Chadd

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of replacing my heater core and evap and am to the point of removing the steering column. I have the airbag loose and I am unsure of what connector to unplug to totally remove the airbag from the steering wheel. Does the small yellow connector that is attached to the airbag itself disconnect from the airbag? I tried to unplug it but I can't really see any clips that hold it together. Is that the right one?

Airbags give me the heebie jeebies. I have been hit in the face with one before in an accident, I don't wanna get it again.

Thanks,
Chadd

If it's similar to the 99, here's what the 99 FSM says:

Disconnect the battery first.

Unscrew the airbag and pull it part way out for access to the plugs.

There should be two connectors, first the clockspring horn switch wire harness connector on the back of the airbag module, and second the clockspring airbag wire harness connector, which is said to be a tight snap-fit that requires that you "firmly grasp and pull or gently pry on the connector," but (in bold print) don't pull on the harness itself.

Back