• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

my wifes exploded rear truetrac

scorpio_vette

NAXJA Forum User
first off, sorry for the crappy picture quality, but heather is at work and took our camera with her, so i only had my camera phone..

that's one of 3 broken bolt heads. i haven't been able to find the other 2 broken bolts yet
brokenbolt.jpg

still in the axle
crackedcarrier2.jpg

still in the axle different crack
crackedcarrier.jpg

a view of the crack with the carrier removed from the axle
bigcrackcarrier.jpg

another view of the rest of the damage
chipedcarrier.jpg

and this is what happened when i tried to pick it up
splitcarrier.jpg

inside view of a detroit LSD
insidecarrier2.jpg

so this is what my wifes detroit looks like after 1year of street driving with only 1 mild trail ride.
insidecarrier.jpg

well hopefully her front detroit truetrack will hold up better than this one.

i'm probably going to end up rebuilding the entire rear end since i can't acount for 3 broken bolts and several pieces of the detroit carrier. LOL i really don't want some pieces floating around inside the bearings and end up chewing up the new auburn locker.

Last edited:
WOW!! what else can you say?

Those kitchen counter pics remind me of me
pic.php

*guess I don't know how to post pics here, doh.

OUch!
And thats a D44 TrueTrac? Im thinking of getting one for my D44. I had one in a D35 that held up nice, now Im thinking, hmmmm!

even though I am sure its out of warranty I would call them and ask them WTF. Never know they might step up to the plate.

fireLt. said:
Nice "exploded" view! Hope the one I sold you holds up better than that.

LOL that's exactly what my wife said. as soon as that one broke she called me and asked: "isn't that front truetrac that i just bought from that guy the same thing i just broke here?" LOL after i said yes, she just said: "oh well, if that breaks, i'll have an excuse to upgrade the front too." LOL gotta love a wife like that huh??? LOL

as far as warranty......she immidiately called detroit when the damage was confirmed. she also asked them what they could do since their product left her stranded 10hours from home. detroit said she would have to contact whoever she bought it from (not what i hoped for, but ok). so she called quadratec and explained the situation. they said that they would send us a brand new truetrac and we would get it in...................1-2 weeks. well my wife figured if she had to wait that long, she might as well just buy something new. so she bought a auburn ECTED. guess we'll see how that thing holds up.

as far as our opinion on the truetrac........
are we disapointed that it failed, and in such a relatively short time.......yes
did we abuse it??? street driving and 1 mild trail ride.........no
did it do it's job and work nicely during that time............yes
would we get another one..........yes (obviously we liked it enough to buy one from fireLt)

but since she is planning to come wheeling more often, and likes the harder trails that i run, and the fact that selectable locker prices are coming down, we figured we might as well upgrade.

I tore up a TT a few years back in a D35, failed in about 2 months time. Detroit warrantied the unit. I wound up scoring an different rear while waiting for the replacement unit to arrive, so I just traded the replacement TT to a buddy for an SVO rear disc kit for my new rearend.

Later on, I discovered why the TrueTrac had failed, my D35 housing was shaped like a boomerang......guy that installed the gears and TT never caught this, his new practice is now to check each housing for trueness before installing gears/locker. :confused1

XJEEPER said:
Later on, I discovered why the TrueTrac had failed, my D35 housing was shaped like a boomerang......guy that installed the gears and TT never caught this, his new practice is now to check each housing for trueness before installing gears/locker. :confused1

well in my case i never even considered bothering with checking the housing since i bought it brand new from the dealership a couple days before installing the detroit along with new axle shafts, ring and pinion and diff cover.

ALL PLAY said:
As far as the new one coming in 1-2 weeks. What plans do yo have for it?

i was going to place it ontop of a wooden pole with a skull hanging from it to serve as a warning for the rest of the jeep parts that even think about quiting on me. LOL

no actually we are going to sell it once when the nice mail man drops it off.

It has been recommended that a TT is a good choice for the front, but not so good a choice for the rear. We've seen a number of rear application TT's fail. The unit works by binding the pinion gears against the case, so there is quite a bit more strain on the unit when used in the rear than in the front, since in most situations the front tires will spin much easier than the rears.

Slo-Sho said:
Noob question;

Is that from driving around a corner a dry pavement while hitting the accelerator forcing both axles to lock going around said corner(s)?

in this case no. also i'm assuming you mean really hitting the accelerator....as in trying to spin the tires. under normal driving conditions, something like this shouldn't happen. but if you have a traction device in the rear and stomp on it, then the shock load of the device engaging could potentially lead to damage like that.

personally i've never seen a traction device of any kind just shatter like that. i've seen stripped teeth on lockers before. but from my experience, usually the axle shafts break before the carrier breaks.

then again, i always seem to get the more "rare" breaks. last year i shattered the camshaft in my 4.0L into 4 pieces. LOL

speaking of rare breaks. you guys ever seen a Dana60 pinion split between the yoke and the housing??? with no other damage of any kind. lol one of the guys in the club i'm in did that on his wrangler. he lives a couple streets down from me, so i went to help him with his axle. it was a interesting break to say the least. lol

Well mine's been in for a year now with no problems and is working very well. I hope I don't have any of your luck. I did notice when I installed the ring gear onto the TT that one of the bolts chipped the carrier a bit when running it in. It seems that the steel used in these things is hard but brittle. I guess time will tell.

Slo-Sho said:
Noob question;

Is that from driving around a corner a dry pavement while hitting the accelerator forcing both axles to lock going around said corner(s)?

I hope not I accidentally do that several times a month in my stroker, with front TT and rear corporate track loc. Impressed the hell out of my boss though! He thinks that the 4.6 broke the 33" tires loose on dry pavement with an automatic while ROLLING in 2nd...:greensmok hehe who am I to tell him any different?

You know this would have been much more interesting if the title was:
"My wifes rearend exploded"

:laugh3:

Hale

Back