• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

urgent! OEM bump stop question.

rocklandxjer

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

well, i decided to put on the budget boost on the daily driver project, however i came to a problem.

i have the 2" spacers for the coils, and i have the coils out, but the spaces wont fit over the lip on the stock bumpstop. at the bottom, where the rubber piece goes in, there is a little, kind of thimble shaped piece that has a flared edge, and i cant fit the spacer around that..
anybody know how to do this?

Travis

I can't quite picture it, but I do recall that I had to hammer my poly spacers on. I used a little liquid dish detergent on the spacers and a BFH ;)

Depends on the year of your XJ those little rubber knobs at the end may be pressed in or screwed in. On my 86 and I think on most of the older XJ they are screwed in and a pipe wrench will work to get them off. I had to do this back in August when I put some new isolators at the same time as putting my new coils on.

I had a similar problem getting the spacers past the bump stop tower too. I just used my floor jack and piece of wood to press the spacer past the tight spot on the bump stop tower, and tapped it in the rest of the way with a rubber mallet. Use some lubricant such as the suggested dishwashing soap to make thing slippery....

well, yeap, theres a screw. [just found my manual.. i thought i had lost it, phew]

but its under the rubber peice and i cant get THAT out.. is there a trick? or just clamp and squeeze?

rocklandxjer said:
well, yeap, theres a screw. [just found my manual.. i thought i had lost it, phew]

but its under the rubber peice and i cant get THAT out.. is there a trick? or just clamp and squeeze?

If you have a pipe wrench use that on the rubber piece and it will come off, well at least it worked for me.

my spacers slid right ove, but I did take the bumpstop out to get the coils out easier. Removing the bumpstop won't help your problem.

Also, make sure you put the spacer against the body, and THEN the stock rubber isolator, THEN the spring. if you don't, the spring can eat into the spacer. On mine, it didn't fit any other way, so I had no choice.

Let me see if I can picture how I did mine. I think I slid the pipe wrench/vise grips between the coils and turned the bump stop (the metal part) out and let it drop. Then I pulled out the spring, bump stop intact, and all. The bump stop dropped out the bottom and then when I put it back together, I reversed that process. Seems a bit of a PITA but I'm pretty sure that's how it goes.

i guess ill have to get some bigger vice grips and see if i cant twist the metal cup off...

i know HOW to get the thing on. its an 88. the rubber stopper goes into the cup. the cup is held on via a bolt above the rubber. and i cant get the spacer on with the cup on. so i might just be cutting the bumpstop soon..
any one know how thick they are so i can plan ahead?

I think if you persist on trying to remove the metal cup, you will end up damaging something.

I saw no indication that the metal 'cup' or drop tower came off in anyway. Looked to be completely welded on to me.

And if yer doing this on an 88, I KNOW you don't need to take it off. The rubber bump stop screws up into the metal cup, and there is no way or even space for the cup to bolt up as you say (unless the bumpsrop screws into the bolt that screws in to hold the cup).

On my 88, the spacers slid right over. Maybe you can force them on, but I would not recommend trying to remove the metal cup as you call it form the drop tower for the bump stop.

Last edited:
rocklandxjer said:
i guess ill have to get some bigger vice grips and see if i cant twist the metal cup off...

i know HOW to get the thing on. its an 88. the rubber stopper goes into the cup. the cup is held on via a bolt above the rubber. and i cant get the spacer on with the cup on. so i might just be cutting the bumpstop soon..
any one know how thick they are so i can plan ahead?

Did the same job on my '88 last summer. Used a pipe wrench on the metal cup and they came off clean with no damage. I had a little trouble fitting a decent sized wrench in between the coils so I used a set of those cheapo spring boosters that you slip in between the coils and crank up with a wrench. Gave me enough room to get a good bite with the pipe wrench.

Back