• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much did your OBA with stock AC compressor setup cost?

1bolt

NAXJA Forum User
How much do these generally cost to put together? Assuming Kilby bits and pieces, multi port distribution block, mild steel tubing, NTP fittings/elbows etc. to splice into the AC lines and connect the Oiler and Seperator and pump switch etc.?

Thanks for any input.

I did search, on board air didn't find any costs or writeups with costs and OBA which is surely the more common phrase here can't be searched on because all search terms have to have more than 3 letters, which BTW is a GIGANTIC PITA when you're searching for any of a hundred different things like: OBA, RE, JKS, BPE, ARB, OX, 4.0, 4.6, FOX (shocks) etc. All of which I've wanted to use as a keyword at one time or another.

EDIT: sorry meant to post this to modified tech!

Last edited:
Did you try OBA* in your search? I got 18 hits with that but don't have time to look for relevant info.

I will be doing a write-up shortly.:compwork: with lots of pictures and prices. I hope to get it to be a sticky. It will be very indepth. It will use the stock aircompressor, and will be setup with an oiler and all neccesary componets to make it safe and reliable. STAY TUNED!:patriot:

Sniggs said:
Did you try OBA* in your search? I got 18 hits with that but don't have time to look for relevant info.

Thanks excellent tip I didn't even think of using the old wildcard. (off to re-do the search)

i think i have some of the best writeups on the net bookmarked somewhere on one of my computers. but i only remember running across 2 with prices.

honestly, the price will depend on how simple or complicated you make it, how nice or sloppy you make it, and how dedicated you are to "scavenging" for parts. i build myself an OBA system using my stock a/c compressor and a 7gallon tank for roughly around $150ish. but at the time i was getting so frustrated with waiting around, that i ended up using some cheap "temporary" parts. so i figure by the time i upgrade the airline to something "nicer", swap out the pressure switch for a nicer unit, and maybe add another 7gallon tank, i'll be sitting around a total of $200ish.

so realistically, it can be done for as low as $150ish. $250ish if you do it a little nicer, and as high as you want to go if you make it all nice and factory looking and add all the "top of the line" bells and whistles.

I probably have less than $75 into mine, not sure of the exact total. I got the tank for free.

OBAdiagram.jpg

DSC03586.jpg

Last edited:
from
http://www.offroaders.com/info/tech-...nboard-air.htm

modified it a little bit... singled it down to one air tank, removed the air horn.
and i came up with this

HD= home depot item
KBY = original author listed as kilby item numbers, im sure the stuff can be aquired elsewhere...
1 AC Compressor (author recommends a york compressor, but apparently a stock a/c compressor can be used?) ANYONE?
KBY2 Tube-O fitting to 1/2" NPT (Kilby's Rotolock fittings, 44760 ) <-----------------------do these work for stock early cherokees a/c? ANYONE?
HD3
1/2" NPT female to female
KBY4
Air Intake Filter (Kilby Air Intake Filter, FS-07-050)
KBY5
Square D pressure switch (set to 120 psi off) (Kilby, 49J59)
HD 6 Air Manifold
KBY7
Adjustable Relief Valve (set to blow at about 130 psi) (kilby, NC25)
HD 8
Pressure Gauges (on at manifold, one on dash)
HD 9
Oil / moisture trap (Coalescing Filter)
KBY10 Check Valve (Kilby, CB38)
HD 11 1/4" T, 3 female ports
HD 12 1/4" Couplers, male port
HD 13
Barbed 1/4" to 1/4" male port
HD 14
1/2" NPT male to 1/4" barbed hose fitting
HD 15
1/4" male to 3/8" (the Oil / moisture trap is actually a 3/8" so the fitting on both sides of the moisture trap is a 1/4" male to 3/8" male. (hardware store)
HD 16
1/4" Elbow, male one side, female other side.
HD 17
Male to Male connector
HD 18
1/4" Elbow, male one side, female other side.
HD 20
1/4" male NPT to 1/8" female NPT
HD 23 1/8" nylon air hose
HD 24
Stock 1/4" air line with male factory fittings
KBY25 Air Tank
HD26
1/4" NPT male to male
onboardairdiagramedited8sb.jpg

opinions?

Last edited:
1996cc said:

where did you find that little pressure switch. i ran around town for a day, and every single person i talked to looked at me like i was talking chinese or something. finally i found one that store had actually forgotten about for 5 years, but it was a huge fist size black box. that little one would definitely clean up the look a little.

I have about $45 into mine but I don't have an airtank.

I used a square D pressure switch for a full size air compressor about $20http://ecatalog.squared.com/catalog/173/html/sections/20/

filter, oiler, and seperator from Harborfreight $15

Hose from CarQuest $3

Hose barbs from True Value $7

cool, I think I'll start working on an OBA setup. Even though my jeep is stock, I don't have much money to lift it at the moment so I am going to work on some relatively cheap mods that will come in handy down the road.

clunk said:
cool, I think I'll start working on an OBA setup. Even though my jeep is stock, I don't have much money to lift it at the moment so I am going to work on some relatively cheap mods that will come in handy down the road.

don't worry about being stock. OBA can be used for many things if set up properly. and you can still air down stock. when i was wheeling my cherokee stock, i put on a set of 235/75/15, and aired them down to 20psi (i was trying to air down without loosing to much ground clearance. LOL)

one thing i will warn you about with OBA is to be able to say "NO". when people find out you have OBA, they'll wanna feed off of you. LOL if you build it properly, you'll be able to run it all day without problems. but with mine for example, when i first build it, i couldn't air up more than 1 vehicle in a row. otherwise my lines would overheat and blow off. now with some slight improvements and the hood open i can do 2-3 vehicles back to back (of course that also depends on tire size).

one other little "mod" that you can do for about $10-20 is a hand throttle. originally my intend was to use it for when i'm winching, but i ended up using it almost every time i air up now. if i use it to raise the idle to about 1,500RPM, it pumps air ALOT faster. just be carefull. the air will get hotter in much less time the faster the engine runs.

scorpio_vette said:
where did you find that little pressure switch. i ran around town for a day, and every single person i talked to looked at me like i was talking chinese or something. finally i found one that store had actually forgotten about for 5 years, but it was a huge fist size black box. that little one would definitely clean up the look a little.

eBay. The link shows a 110/145 switch, but I got the 90/130 one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...:MERFB:IID&viewitem=&item=220048783698&rd=1,1

I think I have about $20 in mine. Most of the stuff I had around already. JIM.

Back