• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Tires - You Choose!

Which Tire Should I Get?

• Total voters

GhostDakota

NAXJA Forum User
So my 33x13.50x15" LTB/TSL's are running bald. I am going to get a new set of tires. I drive on the highway/road every day .. lots of miles. I do drive faster than I should... *cough cough*, so running these TSL's are kind of scary as they are bias ply tires and shouldn't really be run over 70 MPH. These tires, even bald, have pulled me through some crazy stuff.

I do MUD... lots of mud, trails, sand, hill climbs and SOME rocks.

Here's what I want to run and I can't decide.

-33x13.50x15" Super Swamper TSL/LTB Bias:
628.jpg

-33x12.50x15" Trxus Mud Terrain Radial's:
47434-lg.jpg

-33x12.50x15" Mickey Thompson MTZ Radials:
baja_mtz_trad.jpg

I am shying away from the TSL/LTB design due to the Bias ply construction (not good on the highway). They are GREAT off-road, but I wheel only 1-3 times a month. From what I've seen you can get maybe 20k miles out of TSL/LTB. The MTZ and the Trxus M/T you can get a good 40k miles out of 'em.

So what do you think will be best overall? I'm leaning towards the Trxus Mud Terrains at this point, but I like other opinions :) Thanks!

Might I add.. I need these ASAP and the Trxus aren't in stock ANYWHERE... but we have the MTZ's and LTB/TSL's in stock.

Last edited:
My next tire is going to be the LTB, but then again it's not a daily driver. For your usage I would get the Trxus.

Have you considered the TSL Radial? My neighbor has those on his TJ, they're not as aggressive as my SS bias plys, but they do well, and wear much better.
He's on pace to get about 30K out of his.

I wouldn't consider an Trxus I good choice for someone who drives fast and on the highway every day. They are very heavy and still wear really fast. I know they do pretty good off road but so does a BFG and they will last you more than 6 months and not give you any problems. I drive 60 miles a day, always go over the speed limit, and then go wheelin on the weekends with my BFG's. It's been almost 2 years and they are still at about 30% tread. I can also go anywhere and more places than my friends with boggers and Irok's, they air down and the tire does not even balloon out enough to make much of a difference. Off coarse if they have bigger tires than me there are some places I can't go that they can.

I drive something like 30 miles per day at highway speeds(or faster) on my 33x12.50 trxus, they're real quiet, there was only problems balancing one(I went to discount, so free rebalancing.) but that got taken care of. It's great in the mud, the big side lugs is what pulls you through, and I can't even get my tires to spin or lose traction on anything other than ice or mud.

Every tire has its go and bad points.

The first one will be the best in the mud and the ether 2 will be much better in the highway but will be....ok in mud.
personally i would go with the MTZ but my self i would go with the BFG alltrain.........becuse i have to deal with a lot of snow and snow packed road. if it don't have some sort of sipe or cut in the tread......you wont get any wheres fast in the winter hear.:shiver:

Flash.

I'm going with the MTZ's.. just ordered 'em in from our other warehouse. I just called Interco about the Trxus but there's a 2-3 month wait on them. I love the TSL/LTB's in the mud and can deal with 'em on the highway, but the tread wear is a big concern. Over the year I've had my XJ I put 32k miles on it.... :-X

sharpie1k said:
edit: hi rick, not on JF much anymore, I see?

Hey man, nah I'm not. I stick to basically NAXJA and JeepingSingles.net LOL.. if that. I am on too many forums so I am trying to cut back. I feel bad stopping by a forum for a day or a couple days, then not going back for months. I'm on here daily, multiple times a day.

Love the MTZ's. They clean great and pull on every surface I have found. - rock, mud, gravel, slick rock. Strong side walls also. I think you would be happy with either. Both are good tires.

MTZ's especially if you drive highway alot, Mickey Thompson says that on a perfectly balenced wheel it will require NO weights at all... I know a guy in my local 4x4 club that just got a set of 35" MTZ and the worst one to balence took a whopping 1oz. I have seen them do all the same things a BFG M/T does off road

Thanks everyone. The MTZ's are on order. I hope to see them by Friday and have 'em all mounted/balanced within the next 2-4 weeks ... I am too busy! :(

I run BFG MTs and I have some friends with the MTZs in 33 and 35". The MTZs stay alot cleaner than my BFGs do for sure. One of them is an MJ with open diffs. If he gets hungup and spins the tires much it looks like a Backhoe has hit the trail lol, they really dig. My next tire for sure. I have killed 2 sidewalls in my BFGs :( tire shop hates me....road hazzard warranty :D.

i just picked up a set of 35x12.50r15 MTZ on my new beadlocks. i love em.

Thanks for the responses guys! I can't wait to get these on and run 'em... and fix my 4WD while I am at it :(

Back