• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Why are Niehoff dist. caps and rotors so cheap?

Ted Young

NAXJA Forum User
On Advance Auto Parts Website, they carry Neihoff brand distributor caps with brass terminals and the following awesome specs for only $7.49!?

• Alkyd resin and glass-filled polyester construction to resist burn-through and carbon tracking
  • Brass inserts to provide superior resistance to corrosion and oxidation
  • Phosphor-bronze conductor strips carry a stronger signal for better performance. Burnished, radius-formed tungsten contacts provide superior conductivity
The matching rotor is only another couple of bucks. Why are they so cheap??

Hey slaves and prisoners have to eat too :sunshine:

No one actually answered the question. Their brass terminal cap and rotor are cheaper than other's aluminum terminal cap and rotor by quite a bit.

I was wondering if anyone knows if they are total garbage or actually a good deal.

I seem to remember the OEM one from the jeep dealer is only like $9 or $12. I don't remember them being expensive at all.

Well, the Standard Motor Products cap is about $35, and the AC Delco one is $25.

I guess they're just cheap then.

RichP said:
I seem to remember the OEM one from the jeep dealer is only like $9 or $12. I don't remember them being expensive at all.

I just looked up the OEM cap from chrysler parts direct, for the 2.5L, $10. They don't show a price on the 4.0.

I had a brand new Napa cap cause a no start on my 2.5 TJ. I'll never get aftermarket tune parts again. The dealer isn't very expensive for the cap/rotor.

Those prices don't sound that much cheaper than what I paid at Autozone. I think I paid about $15-19 for a similar quality cap, there best quality that is, brass not aluminum, unless you buy Accell parts thats is. There cheaper cap was about $12 as I recall. And as I recall the one bought I seemed higher than I was use to paying for their top quality caps already. I think they have gone up on there prices.

Could be a promotional thing, selling them at near their cost to generate traffic and other sales. Called a lost leader in marketing terms. K-mart made the strategy famous. Or perhaps someone made a "0" mistake and ordered a ten year (1,000,000 instead of 100,000 of them) instead of a one year inventory, and they need to move a lot of them fast.

One thing is for sure, most of them are made in China, or nearby for probably less than $0.25 a set.

The "Standard Motor Products cap is about $35, and the AC Delco one is $25" you qouted sounds outragious.

Ecomike said:
Or perhaps someone made a "0" mistake and ordered a ten year (1,000,000 instead of 100,000 of them) instead of a one year inventory, and they need to move a lot of them fast.

Saw a honda dealer in groton ct make that error about 5 years ago, they ordered 100 white honda civics for somebody, town maybe or town and county. The mistake was 1000 instead of 100, was hilarious. We were going up to cape cod on vacation and stopped at the sub base for lunch and gassing up, freaking honda dealer parking lot looked like a blizzard had hit in the 90 degree aug weather. 20 acres of white civics... they were even parked in two out of business restraurant parking lots. The story was the sales manger was on vacation when his assistant placed the order and never picked up on the error. I woulda loved to have been there the day the trucks started pulling up... it was even newsworthy, they had a video of the convoys coming up RT 95. If I had thought about it I bet I could have gotten a good deal on one for sure...

PA at an aluminum window extrusion plant made that error and 100 railroad cars ( instead of just 10) filled with raw alluminum billets got parked on the rail lines in back of the plant. His Purchasing career was abruptly ended. They ended up with 20 months of raw alluminum :shiver: in inventory.

Back