• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

For those with multi mount winches.

Powerman

NAXJA Forum User
How heavy is your setup? I am looking at getting mine and didn't realize winches were so heavy. I guess I figured it might be 60lbs, but the winches I was looking at with wire run 100-110 lbs (Superwinch EP9.0) and that is without the fairlead and mounting plate.

Do you generally throw your winch on for the trail and leave it, or do you get it out when you need it? It just seems that it might not be so easy mounting it in a lot of situations out on the trail if they are that heavy.

Just curious, how many times do you use your rear mount if you have one?

Also, I assume synthetic line is a must? How much weight is saved using synthetic line and a hawse fairlead? Thanks for your input.

Superwinch is extermely heavy...

I just purchased a Ramsey and it weighted (seloniod, winch, wire cable, hook, hawse fairlead) approximately 65lbs.

I threw on some Viking 3/8" x 90' synthetic rope and an aluminum fairlead and now it weights at 49.0 lbs.

Synthetic line isnt a must I just wanted to do it to save weight on the front of my jeep b/c there's already an ARB up there...

AS For carrying it on the trail, I would look at building some kind of "docking station" in the rear of the jeep..

Grow some man muscles and just lift it around!!! No, seriously though, just find the lightest weight winch that has the best track record and fits your use and go for it. I think it's a much better choice than having it hanging on the front or rear all the time. Especially for guys who don't wheel every day and might only use it a few times a year.

Just make up a plate that is welded onto a 2" hitch receiver and buy a receiver for your front and rear of your jeep then run cables to the back of the jeep and have plugs there to power it on the back also. a few guys i know run their chain drive warn winch like this and they only put it on when stuck... otherwise they keep it in the back out of weather.

uncc civilengineer said:
Superwinch is extermely heavy...

I just purchased a Ramsey and it weighted (seloniod, winch, wire cable, hook, hawse fairlead) approximately 65lbs.

AS For carrying it on the trail, I would look at building some kind of "docking station" in the rear of the jeep..

So what winch are you running? I've looked around and Super is comparable to others. Although I did see a Ramsey profile 8000 that was as you describe.

As for storage, I have not got that far, but did want something like you said. I was going to use some 2x2 tube to put it in and then pin it. I want more than just strapping it down with some bungees!

And 53, I used to have man muscles, but this keyboard has sucked them dry.:) It isn't the actual weight. I just figured you could just toss em' around. They are small. But with that much weight, you could get into some slippery/confined/ inaccessible spots that would make things a little difficult. I just didn't think about it.

.....but if you must know, I felt like a girl asking the question.:laugh3:

This is the setup I have.
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/xd9i_multimount.shtml

I have went to 125' of syn rope and it lost about 35 lbs. As for when I install it depends on what the plan is. If somewhere I have never been I install it before I leave the house. Other then that I throw it in the back next to my spare under a shelf I have bolted in the back.

Back