• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel hop??? i never saw that coming

i just bought my 5th cherokee yet and this one is my daily driver, 93 sport, 4.0, 5spd. this is probebly the roughest ride i've dealt with but 3 of my cherokees were lifted so i dont really remember what a stock xj rides like, but this one feels like it has super stiff springs, anyway, when i get on it sometimes it feels like i'm getting really bad wheel hop (lots of quick whiplash like moments for the passengers), has anybody felt this before?? is there a fix? softer springs maybe? dont want to go to traction bars.

It's normal for a 4.0 XJ in 2WD mode to have some wheel hop when attempting a fast launch by dumping the clutch with the engine revving at 2000+ rpm. The best solution is to install a traction bar to prevent the rear axle rotating forwards, but you can reduce the problem by removing the front anti-sway bar to allow more travel in the front suspension.

Yes, softer rear springs would make wheel hop worse, but softening up the front would reduce it by allowing the front end to rise during launch and more weight to be transferred to the rear. The same also applies if you disconnect the front anti-sway bar.

You said that you could fill it on the passanger side. do you only notise this when your trying to make to tire spin or can ya fill it going down the road?

I may be of base here but, could it be a warn out bushing in the upper or lower control arms?

Flash.

dis regard, ya I'M way of.f........we have rear leaf springs, pic zj for some reason!:doh:

Last edited:
Hi - Never thought I'd read this about a Cherokee. If you're really concerned with this, get traction masters.

Its probably going to be hard to find parts that specifically remedy this issue, aside from a good quality leaf spring pack, considering that this is a Jeep and not an E Body Hemi.

Another thing to look for is bad motor mounts.Your passenger side mount is taking the torque of the engine and is probably has a crack in the rubber.This is noticable on lower gear/higher rpm's take offs, especially in the 5-speeds. Suggest changing both mounts and the tranny mount, as maintenance on a newly acquired XJ. HTH

Back