• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

knocking? ticking?

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
when i let my jeep warm up after work(its 5 degrees here) i heard a knocking or ticking sound coming from the motor that i have never noticed before...it did it after the motor was warm too. you can hear the tick speed up with acceleration too. is this serious? something to do with vavle train? should i run thicker oil when i change my oil?and comments will help

96 sport 4.0HO aw4 np231 173kmi

thanks

maine96xj said:
when i let my jeep warm up after work(its 5 degrees here) i heard a knocking or ticking sound coming from the motor that i have never noticed before...it did it after the motor was warm too. you can hear the tick speed up with acceleration too. is this serious? something to do with vavle train? should i run thicker oil when i change my oil?and comments will help

96 sport 4.0HO aw4 np231 173kmi

thanks

If it's 5 degrees, then thinner oil is what you are looking for!
What weight of oil are ya running

My 96 did that last winter when it was down around that temp one morning and I thought uh-oh because the last time I heard a tic like you describe it was because of a cracked manifold, but I replaced the manifold around November so I thought the noise must be internally...turns out the manifold cracked again and that was causing the tic...

just a thought

my 98 has had that tick since this time last year and has gotten a little worse. the thing is that it doesn't do it when the motors cold and goes away about 300-500rpm above idle. not other noises but it does seem like i have to go gentle on the engine to get it to wind up, kinda like having to "re-inflate" a lifter to get a valve to open properly. i'm thinkin about replacing the lifters, has anyone had any trouble w/ camlobe wipe-out w/ just lifter replacement? if so, any recomendations on a mild cam to swap in? 177,*** on the ticker but not sure if its the original motor or not.

"maine96xj: when i let my jeep warm up after work(its 5 degrees here) i heard a knocking or ticking sound coming from the motor that i have never noticed before...it did it after the motor was warm too. you can hear the tick speed up with acceleration too. is this serious? something to do with vavle train? should i run thicker oil when i change my oil?and comments will help

96 sport 4.0HO aw4 np231 173kmi"

Try going with something like mobil 1's 0w-20 or 0w-30 synthetic during the winter. How is the oil pressure right now, cold, and warmed up at idle?

Also try adding some Marvel Mystery oil, and or Risolene additive either right away, if the oil level is low enough, or add a quart in place of one quart of oil with an oil change. I do suggest you change the oil and filter immedialtly just to be safe.

That said, Jeep 4.0's are notoriously noisy. Mine has been noisy for 3 years since I bought it, 245,000 miles and still ticking :laugh: !!!

But I do regularly use oil additives that drastically reduce the valve, lifter noises!

okay thank you very much, i will check the manifold at the collector. also i will change the oil, ill throw in MMO and ill try running a synthetic

0w-30 is ok to run through?? not to thin when its cold?

maine96xj said:
okay thank you very much, i will check the manifold at the collector. also i will change the oil, ill throw in MMO and ill try running a synthetic

0w-30 is ok to run through?? not to thin when its cold?

MY self i would go with a 5w30 and some additive that was spoken above...........Actually, if it's not time to replace the oil (in 5* temp) i would just add a half a Q of ATF and run it!

The leaky header/ex. manifold could be it also. they can sound just like a lifter tic.

I must have the quites jeep on this form:confused1 no lifter tics, no header tics, and no cold piston slap! and to top it all of, i have over 300,000 miles on the clock!
Of course the muffler that's about to fall off:passgas: cold be masking some of my problem!:laugh: :laugh2: :wave1: :D

Flash said:
MY self i would go with a 5w30 and some additive that was spoken above...........Actually, if it's not time to replace the oil (in 5* temp) i would just add a half a Q of ATF and run it!

The leaky header/ex. manifold could be it also. they can sound just like a lifter tic.

I must have the quites jeep on this form:confused1 no lifter tics, no header tics, and no cold piston slap! and to top it all of, i have over 300,000 miles on the clock!
Of course the muffler that's about to fall off:passgas: cold be masking some of my problem!:laugh: :laugh2: :wave1: :D

Now that just tics me off! :flamemad:Someone with a tic-less Jeep! :rattle: :cry: :D

So would a leaky header/exhaust manifold noise go away when the idle is increased a few hundred RPM? or get louder, or either depending on the leak?

Ecomike said:
Now that just tics me off! :flamemad:Someone with a tic-less Jeep! :rattle: :cry: :D

So would a leaky header/exhaust manifold noise go away when the idle is increased a few hundred RPM? or get louder, or either depending on the leak?

HaHa Ha.... just to make ya fill better it dus have the famous rear main oil leak! Want to run 20/50 to slow it down but have to us 5/30 so it will start in the cold :banghead:

If the tic gos a way when you rev it up i would say it is lifter related

if the tic get louder when you are on the skinny peddle, that at cruz speed, the i would say its a header or ex leak.

Don't hate me cus my jeep hasn't "empted every pocket.......yet!":passgas: it will:)

Back