• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another stupid steering question

sgtmack

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I need a new tie rod , mine looks like a pretzel. I have an abundance of 1 1/4 1/8th wall DOM. Is it strong enough on it's own, or should I use it to sleeve a piece of 1" solid. I'm leaning toward using both, but I haven't figured out the whole assembly concept for solid, tube, and welded inserts. The inserts aren't as long as the tie rod end, so I would have to leave space between the solid and the insert, so would that be as weak as just using tube? Maybe I'm just tired, but looking at a pile of steel I just can't decide the best way to put it all together.

1/8" is kind of small for steering IMO, but still better than stock. If you have the materials, I don't see why you couldn't plug weld a solid stock inside. Id get the solid stock as close as possible to the TRE. You can get a 8' peice of 1.25". .250" wall DOM from www.Onlinemetals.com for about $58, plus cheap shipping, depending on where you live. Thats where I got DOM for my steering.

Back