• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mounting old style stock tire carrier to newer XJ ----> HELP

NC4X4boy

NAXJA Forum User
My friend had this laying around from a part out so i got it for 50 bucks, and it seems to be not fitting very well, it seems like it wants to flop onto one side when i fold it out as if opening it, and im wondering if anyone has pictures of this on an older or newer XJ just to see how it opens and if anyone has mounted this to a newer style XJ.

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

If any modifications are needed that would be a big help as well.

If theres a site with this please let me know, i searched and couldnt find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Austin

There were two styles of tire carriers. One that has an upper mount on the body and lower mount on the bumper, and one that mounts to the bumper only.

Which do you have?

I installed the older style on my 89 xj, It required me to install a bumper as well (two mounts). It does seem to flop over on one side.When I got it from the wrecker it didn't look like it would work. I don't know, just didn't look right but sure enough it fit and fit well. Be sure to get ther inner quarter panel reinforcement panel or it'll just tear the sheetmetal and fall off. I've had a 31" mounted on it now for a few months and doens't rattle and seems strong.The idea came off of www.madxj.com in the tech section. If you are installing it on a newer body style you will have to do some mods to transer the hinge and latch hardware or see if the bumper will swap.

this is the one that mounts to the rear quarterpanel and latches on the bumper. I mounted the old style bumper with all the hardware already installed, but i have a NEW style (97+) XJ, and im wondering if this will work or not.

I have all the peices required for install, just need the proper alignment of stuff.

Yup,same one, how well does your inner reinforcement panel fit inside the rear quarter?Before you put it in make a template with paper to aid in drilling the outer holes. Mine was a tight fit, The easiest way to get it in and riveted is line up the back of the panel in the rear quarter,once its in tight use an automatic centerpunch from the inside to make a mark for your rear rivet hole,drill it and rivet it,then pivot into place up and tight and drill and rivet that hole.I ended up drilling one 1/8" pilot hole (from the rear quarter inward)to locate the hole in the inner panel,I used a die grinder with a carbide bit to shape the hole to match the inner reinforcement panel,put my template on the outer panel,marked it and drilled. I still ended up being a little off. I used the die grinder to open up the holes in the rear quarter until I could get the two nuts and two bolts in the outer mount and test fitted.Its way easier to do with the quarter mount seperated from the rest of the carrier, make sure to seal the paint from rust and silicone in between

Back