• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Needle bearings on my cv joint?

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj np242 with re1801 sye. I used a front drivesahft with a spicer flange for my rear driveline. Well I busted a u-joint on my last outing and replaced it today. Now i have horrible driveline vibes at all rpm. Ive checked all the joints and everything moves great(no binding). The one thing I do remember is when replacing the joint some of the needle bearings on the cv joint fell out when putting the assembly back together. So this is probably a stupid question but will that cause horrible vibes?

89jeepxjw said:
Is there anyway i can get just the bearings? Use some out of u-joint cap?

whever i have had some fall out, i just took a cap off a spare u joint and put it on. i used to have a bunch of new spares lying around, but now some of them seem to be missing caps. :rof:

-Tim

Are we talking 1310? On the DS there is a little snub that fits into the end of the flange i needed to mate it to my SYE. Thats where im missing bearings. Is there a certain way that they seat or just grease to hold them together and slip it into the flange?

89jeepxjw said:
Are we talking 1310? On the DS there is a little snub that fits into the end of the flange i needed to mate it to my SYE. Thats where im missing bearings. Is there a certain way that they seat or just grease to hold them together and slip it into the flange?

eh, i dunno i dont use flanges, i use yokes. they are 1310s, tho.

-Tim

Are you talking about the centering ball?, Flange that bolts to the sye?

That things a bugger to put together, ya need three double jointed guys with eyeballs on the end of antennas to get it together. It took me a couple tries, one try I crushed and broke one needle bearing,thought I could just use one from the standard u joints I just replaced but you'll never get it together ( needle is slightly larger in diameter). So I greased the hell out of it and put it together less one needle bearing.So far so good but it was only one.

Yes the centering ball. Ive lost every single one of those bearings. I was going to use some of a spare joint i had but they are bigger. What I noticed was the new joints I bought have bigger needles in them than what were in there before. So tomarrow im going to try and load them up in the centering ball and hope it goes together.

Back