• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgraded fuse block/wiring

Charlesloyd

NAXJA Forum User
OK, here goes did a little searching and did not find anything specific to what I was looking for.

Problem 1988 Cherokee "Sparky"

Replaced fuse block back in 2004 with a junk yard one, old was was covered with clutch fuild from leaking master cylinder. (replaced cyinder also)

2005-2006 new fuse box was replaced by a shop.. very well done job

2007 here we go again.. seems like there was a water leak above the fuse box... working on fixing that now.

My question is has anyone ever replaced the factory fuse box and relocated it to a different location? If so what wiring/fuse kit was used?

The poor wires have been cut and spliced so many times that the electrical system needs a serious overhaul.

Any ideas and suggestions would be appreciated..

I've actually considered something like that - I've never been happy with the fuse block being down by my feet, and I've been wanting to put it somewhere easier to get to - like the centre console.

It's a standard GM fuse block for RENIX, so you can probably just cut one out of a GM vehicle of the same era; leave nice, long wiring tails; and then start researching and matching before you cut. You'll need your own wiring diagrams (I've got most of the RENIX wiring diagrams up on my RENIXPower group - groups.yahoo.com/group/RENIXPower) and wiring diagrams for your donor vehicle (check the Reference section at your local library, you'll spend less money.)

You may end up having to make a "bridge" harness - depends on how far you want to go, and how much "tail" you can take with the donor fuse block. A bridge would take more work, and you'd have an organisational nightmare on your hands, but it's doable.

I've tackled projects like this before - it can be done, but spend more time planning to spend less time working. Have a plan fully in place before you cut the very first wire on your vehicle, or you're in for buying stock in Bayer, and having them pay your dividends in aspirin...

Luckily I do have the wiring diagrams for the Jeep, and most shop manual information for my year. I was thinking of using the universal 12 circuit from Autozone. Location is still an issue, was considering placing it under the hood in a safe (if there is one) location. Since the current fuse block wiring has been cut and spliced before it makes my job a little easier.
I have actually considered rewiring all the power distribution system with larger wires, but really think I will wait on that one.

Thanks for the suggestions

Decided on the 12 circuit unit from Painless, as soon as I decide where to install it I will be set, I know that it will not be installed in the stock location for sure.

Will see about getting some pictures and a description or write up done when I have it finished..

I swapped out mine in favor for a PDU from D and R (made for my place of work). Normally they power everything on police vehicles. I mounted mine underneath the back seat. I can get pics of how I ran everything if you want.

Back