• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear end hop (89 SWB MJ D35)

MoparRobbie

NAXJA Forum User
it snowed the other day, and now whenever I go to spin the wheels, or are moving in first and give it gas to upshift to second (AX-4 spd) the rearend will violently slam off the ground. Almost like axle hop when you dump the clutch in a fwd car. Ive got nothing for shock absorbers in the rear, and don't plan on fixing them till spring, when I do all the body work. Would the shock absorbers be the problem or would it be something else. Its a stock D35 2wd '89'er MJ.

they could be part of problem...but you say 'nothing'.... are they missing???

could also a broken main spring leaf....

worn bushings in spring hangers....

thall said:
they could be part of problem...but you say 'nothing'.... are they missing???

could also a broken main spring leaf....

worn bushings in spring hangers....
both have exploded, both are OEM shocks from Factory in May of '89 :) And Im in the rust belt. (Ontario) It makes for some interesting body roll, weird rear tracking and the rear end slam when shifting in higher rpms. my bushings are ok and the leaves are fine too.

just a cheepo set of shocks would do wonders then...............

shocks should have little effect on rear end tracking on a leaf spring suspension....

but spring oscillation......... yep... for sure.

i would throw a set of cheapo crappy tire specials in it til spring. iirc the mj's don't have bar pins on the top so no worries about rusted bolts making for an easy swap. no telling what the arse end is gonna do in a sticky situation on the road.

Back