• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

biggest set up on stock axles D30/ 8.25 ?

PolishX

NAXJA Forum User
ok right now I have 98 XJ with the D30/ 8.25 , wondering how big anyone has gone on tires without really having to swap parts all the time .. thinking 35 or 36 long term with a LA kit etc . that is 2 years away though . right now I am on 33's ... suggestions ? or should I just go full width ? choices choices

you should only go a max of 35's IMHO and you will need to upgrade your axle shafts with chromoly/alloy for front and hardened steel for the rears. If you have a lead foot or want to go bigger than that, then you should consider bigger axles.

it's a D35 , thats the common "popper " axle that and the wonderfull 10 bolt GM axles .... most of our wheeling is done here in 1st gear 4L , never over like 10 MPH tops , but I know the off camber stuff and skinny pedal in mud holes etc ... can cause big time snapping ... thanks for the info guys .. good stuff . now to ponder things for a while

Radon said:
33s MAX!!!! I broke 2 D35s on 33s

The guy has an 8.25....not a turdy-five. D35s are one of the weakest axles out there. 29 spline - 8.25s are nearly as strong as a D44. 27 spline 8.25's are weaker.

Racing4funn said:
I have the same 8.25 and d35 w/ shaft up grades on TSL 36s and its been all fun and games so far. My jeep is off road wheeling only.

I figured as much, but it was more of a smarta$$ way of saying proof read your posts.

djblade311 said:
The guy has an 8.25....not a turdy-five. D35s are one of the weakest axles out there. 29 spline - 8.25s are nearly as strong as a D44. 27 spline 8.25's are weaker.
missed that LOL. Just had to chime in on my hatred of D35s

Cant there be a sticky that has a recommended tire size for what axles you have so we can stop getting these ridiculous/useless threads?

Wheel what you have with whatever size tires you want until it breaks and then go from there.... deciding on tire/axle combos is not rocket science

I am running 35's on a 29 spl 8.25/D30 combo, with a front lockright and MM hub kit, the rear is just a rebuilt factory traclock L/S. As long as you aren't stupid and wheel with finesse, your stock axles should hold up fine.

Though there are people out there that can break 60's on 33"s in their driveway so who knows.

Back